Stihl BR600 Trigger Problems...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Sep 14, 2005.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I just spent the last few days trying to figure out why there was so much slack in my trigger/throttle control where I would have to squeeze the trigger in almost all the way to get any throttle...I have had the unit all of a week and at first the trigger seemed fine...I emailed Stihl and they told me to go to page 15 of the owner's manual and it says to squeeze the trigger all the way in and tighten the screw inside the trigger until one feels resistance--this would take up the slack...I did this and it worked ok for a few seconds...Upon further inspection, the screw's threads do not hold in the plastic...you can push the screw without turning it through the hole with ease and the threads to not hold...I again emailed Stihl and they told me that the screw makes its own threads--hmmm, in what, plastic? A metal screw holds in a metal female sleeve, not plastic...I cannot believe that they want me to bring in this blower for a problem like this that the engineers should have designed better...Maybe this winter and in a pigs eye will I bring it in and waste more time--but not during my maintenance season...I rigged it with almost a permanent fix and will bring it in at winter time to get the assembly replaced...It appears that the hole is just too large for the screw's threads to hold it from moving when the trigger is squeezed--I fixed it for now, but gosh darn, give me a break...a 505 dollar brand new machine should have NO, NO, NO, NO, problems with any trigger assembly...According to them, my standards are "too high." On a positive note, I think the machine is very powerful and really like it a great deal...anyone else have the problem, or am I the only unlucky person concerning this matter...please respond if you have had a problem with this...thanks...

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Not yet.

Do you have a dealer?? take it to them.
    John

3. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Not yet anyway...makes no sense for me to bring in the blower for a week and lose the productivity...I Jay rigged the trigger to keep it from backing out and it works fine now...All I did was put a wire around the thread and tightened it--when I pull the trigger, it will not back out...for 505 I should not have had to spend the time rigging it to work...the email stihl sent me is that the screw makes the thread in the plastic when they screwed it in...hmmm, perhaps a metal female sleeve would have worked better than plastic...later...

4. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

If the blower is only a week old, your dealer should just exchange it or a least give you a loaner while they look at it. I bought a BR600 last week and if I had any problems with it I sure wouldn't wait until winter to get it repaired. You spent good money on it get it repaired or replaced now.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

DCPlace,

You and I agree that you are a lot better off trying to fix stuff even when it is in warranty. I doubt if they have a fix for the problem anyway. Our dealer is the best but he isn't going to give me a new loaner while he works on the unit.....and I don't expect it.