Stihl BR600? vs. redmax specs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CURBAPPEAL NC, Dec 24, 2005.

CURBAPPEAL NC LawnSite Member

My 8000 was recently stolen and am looking at the BR 600. The specs are better for the stihl from the manufacturer. Redmax 688 w/pipe 943 w/o stihl 712 w/pipe 1012 w/o. not sure what the stihl is going for but im sure they gotta be close. anyone running the stihl? what do you guys think? i loved the redmax but am not partial to any name brand, just performance!

before anybody tells me to use the search i just did. Im confused about how everyone is perceiving each blower. are you guys telling me that the stats are not correct (hyped up). cfms is cfms or is it one of those things where they are somehow tested differently?
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

we have 3 br600s, 1 br550 and 3 br420s........ I dont even know what the specs are on them, but the br600s are absolute monsters. the guys all fight to use them over the 550 and 420s. ive never tried anything other than stihl, but you couldnt go wrong with a br600
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, lets start out considering without the pipes. I know we don't use them without the pipes, but it's the best way I know of to describe the difference between them...

Without the pipes, the Stihl is a hair stronger, but not enough difference between them to notice it. Pretty much the same. Where they differ and the performance differs is in the difference in the style of the tubes. If you have ever used any blower with a removeable tapered end or duckbill tip you will understand.

The RedMax blows wide and hard with brute CFM like the others do with the tip off.

The Stihl blower on the other hand has a bullet shaped tube end.
    Not a duck bill or a taper, but a hollow point bullet shape.
    The exit hole is smaller than the tube diameter.

So the Stihl and RedMax have pretty much the same power overall coming out the tube end. It's just that the Stihl has a smaller more directed air stream path. The RedMax has a wider air stream path.

So the RedMax might move a little more leaves or whatever, but the Stihl would do better at peeling up stuck-on grass off the driveway/sidewalk.

Personally, I think you will find the BR600 design to be cleaner, quieter, more ergonomic, easier to use, more comfortable and lighter in weight.

Thanks good insite!
  6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never owned or ran a Redmax other than at tradeshows. I have owned an Echo PB650 and a Stihl BR400 and the BR600. I think that a lot of the bad things that people say about the Stihl BR600 is because of the sound (or lack of sound) that it makes. It's a 4 cycle and it just doesn't sound like it's revved up the way a 2 cycle sounds. Therefore you get the perception that it's not blowing as hard or fast. I can attest to the fact that it'll blow my Echo PB650 away and definately blow away the BR400. However, compared to these other 2 cycle blowers it sounds like it's running at half throttle. Compare them side by side and I think you'll find that the BR600 is more comfortable (lighter), more well designed (everythings enclosed), much more quiet, yet will blow the pants off almost any other blower on the market.
  7. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I've had both 600 is lighter more comfortable and a lot weaker. Just being honest.
  8. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

I second his post. I have run both for a pretty long period of time and the Red Max is MUCH stronger...not even close!
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

go with 2 cyc as long as you can.
  10. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i tried out the stihl br600 and i think my echo 651 puts it to shame. i am NOT a big echo fan but this blower is awesome and can be bought online, shipped to your door, for around $400.. the br600 is lighter and quieter and a definite improvement over the br420. i have used the echo for two leaf seasons with no problems at all, cranks very easily every time. i am not saying it is the best blower of all time just trying to convey that it is alot of bang for the buck.......