Stihl bump knobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Mar 29, 2006.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I go through bump heads pretty fast during the season, probably 2 a month. I like to keep the string long and I've got a lot of fences to trim, etc. Problem is, it gets expensive to buy new bump knobs that often. Anyone have a suggestion as to where to buy them in bulk, or cheaper than retail. I think I usually use the 25-2.

Just to be clear, I go through them so fast because the bump knobs wear out and go flat pretty quick. Cheap plastic.

2. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

Dont bump them on the concrete and they wont wear out. Use the top of a fence or something else. This may sound crazy but I have 2 fs 85s that are 3 years old and still original heads.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was just going to say the sme thing. The concrete KILLS them, and there is absolutely no reason for it. I had to instill a policy of a write-up anytime I ever saw it. The guys were just going through too many of them. They stopped slammin 'em on the cement, and they last forever.

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

never bump on concrete:hammerhead: :hammerhead: i will use anything but concrete.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't usually bump on concrete.

Bottom line is, I'm going through them fast and I need a cheaper source for the knobs.

6. lawnartisan

lawnartisan LawnSite Member

if you have time you can push and pull the string with your hand but time is money. i smack mine on whatevers closest. 2 months seems so fast. do you run your trimmer head real close to everything rite after you bump?

7. lawnartisan

lawnartisan LawnSite Member

try putting a gob jb weld every week or epoxy, ih ave never tryed it but it just came to me im an idiot sorry.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have had my FS85 for four seasons and the bump head is still the original head. I trim out 1,100-1,200 lawns per season. When I examined it in the offseason, it looks good, not needing replacing.

You must be using your unit in extreme service to wear out the bump heads so quickly.

9. lawnman757

lawnman757 LawnSite Member
    from MD

I agree with you on them wearing out to fast. i usually replace one every 4-6 weeks. Be nice to find them in discounted pack of a dozen.

10. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

for me, the quick load type heads seem to work well (you know, the kind where you slide in 2 or three pieces of pre-cut trimmer line). i always had trouble with the line getting welded together inside the head and would have to take the head off to pull the line apart. they also allow me to use up to
    .155 line for edging. i sit in front of the tv maybe once a month with a pair of snippers, cut lenghts and wrap one of my wife's elastic hair ties around a fist size bundle of the lengths. then when it's time to trim, just throw the bundle in my back pocket and go. just make sure you get a good head, otherwise the springs inside it get worn out after a year or so. echo makes a good one for about $25.00.