STIHL carb failure (ZAMA)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bryan Wilson, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Bryan Wilson

Bryan Wilson LawnSite Member

I bought a Stihl KM85 trimmer and have gone through 3 carbs since purchasing this June. This unit comes with a ZAMA carb. It seems that the base plate of the carb body is warping. I have no problems with replacements that are covered under warranty. But with each carb lasting no more than 2 months I'm concerned that this problem will continue till the warranty runs out. That means the trimmer will only last a year.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this problem?
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Do a search on lemon laws and get your money back.
  3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

What he said^^^^
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

New EPA laws about carbs have all manufacture in a bind. This is not neccessary a Stilh problem. But an Industry problem in general. Please note how you are now seeing more and more EFI on even small HP engines to get around the EPA new rules.
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is terrible to say the least. It is a carb issue but since Stihl has put that carb on their equipment hopefully you can contact them for help. I to would not wait for the warranty to run out and be stuck with a useless trimmer.

6. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i have been a stihl dealer for 20 years and i have never had a base plate
    do that let alone three times.if they are replacing it and the unit runs good
    then it is something fuel quality.or the fuel filter. are you using stihl oil? it is a must.they are made to run on that oil only. i am not saying you can't use other oil but the longevity will be greatly reduced
  7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Sounds to me like your unit is overheating, not much else would cause such warpage.
    Too much running at full throttle, bad fuel mix, etc.
    Just a thought.
  8. Bryan Wilson

Bryan Wilson LawnSite Member

Thanks all, Have e-mailed Stihl Canada and they are contacting my supplier.