Stihl Carbide tipped saw chain

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ed2hess, Mar 8, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

2. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

Never tried it in the dirt, but it cuts through seal tab with no problem

3. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut rock? Are you serious?
    I would think that cutting in dirt wouldn't dull the cutters, but the dirt on the chain would still wear out the links and bar (and sprocket to some extent) much faster than you want.

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Way too good a chain for dirt work. I have a gararge sale McCullough with cheap chains I use if I have cut a root or something else dirty. I sharpen my own chains so its still economical. As for stone I don't think even the concrete chainsaws will go through some natural stone, not to mention they cost thousands of dollars.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jschultznorth

jschultznorth LawnSite Member

they say they last 4 times as long but looks like they are 4 times the price so wheres the deal

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

My thinking is that when I use normal blade for cutting roots they dull up almost immeciately. They will hit a piece of rock and you are done. I want something that will hang in there for at least a while. If you have ever done irrigation repairs you will understand why I am looking for something better than a 19.2V Sears saw with wood blade(which isn't bad). I was looking at a $800 concrete saw and the sales guy said no way it will knock you back and be unsafe.

7. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

I priced the chain for a 18 inch bar it was around 100 dollars i don't see it being worth 4 times the amount of a slandered chain. It will still dull the same but the next problem is u need a special sharpener to sharpen it.

8. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

Are you saying that you are using a reciprocating (Sawzall) saw? Might want to consider something other than Sears for your blades. There are a hell of a lot of Sawzall blades, I would try something like this. For what you are doing I couldn't see using anything other than a Sawzall even if you have to stock up on blades. Those rocks need to be dug out by the way. Why are you trying to cut them??

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes rocks are too big to be dug out. I have been to places where there are boulders sticking out of the ground, in residential neighborhoods, like icebergs in the ocean. It occurs in McClain VA and Raleigh NC.

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Your not going to cut those boulders. At best you could have them blasted. Nature wins that one. Landscape around them or use them in the design.
    Posted via Mobile Device