Lawn Care Forum banner

Stihl Carburetor Tool

24K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  ricky86 
#1 ·
Let me preface this by saying I HATE STIHL !!! The new carbs for the br600 are no longer adjustable with a screwdriver, you cannot buy the new adjusting tool from a dealer because stihl doesn't allow it. Does anyone know where I can get one or what they have used to make it work?

Why do i need to adjust the carb? A new carb on a 3 year old Br 600 gives me 6700 rpm. If that doesn't make sense to you then don't comment. if you have any legit ideas please let me know.

If you love Stihl, good for you, unless you have the answer to my question, don't comment.

Alsoif anyone has a parts breakdown for the 90, and 110 engines let me know. i may even be willing to pay for it.

#27 ·
It wouldn't be the first time I misread a post...
Seems to me...if you didn't like the way a company did business...you'd just move on to the next one..
Their business model must be working...they haven't run out of customers..and their factories are still pumping out new products everyday..
If I had a good product line...and by stifling any free information about my products...could maximize my profits...I would do it...
It just makes good business sense....
Just because you can wrench on your own eqpt...it doesn't make you a technician..
Be nice to us techs that dole out good info and advice everyday...asking nothing in return..

#28 ·
Well, it seems that the general public does think we are all thieves, but hey what are you going to do ?

Over inflated prices and labor? I don't know if its overinflated or not but we were quoted $200 to replace the carb on the above mentioned blower. Not worth it. Paid around $60 for the carb and fuel lines and did it myself. Same Dealer sold me a primer for $15.68, I bought the wrong one (black bottom) so I went to the ace nearest the house and paid $11.50. Returned the wrong part last week and was quoted the same price ($15.68) for the white bottom. The Walbro part 188-512-1 will fit the Br600 just fine and I can buy those in bulk (10) for $3.00 ea.

Maybe i'm just jewish, but all the secrecy, lack of easily available parts list, etc is frustrating.

Another example, Not too long ago I had to replace the throttle cable on an FS90/FC90 (dont remember) because it was frayed where it runs over the top of the carb. New cable comes with a protective sleeve to help prevent this problem. Obviously Stihl recognized that this was an problem and fixed it. Good for them, but why should I have to pay for that. Maybe not worth a general recall, but when the cable frays they should warranty that.

Anyway, just my opinion, and like I said, maybe I am just a cheap bastard.
You bring up some valid points. Some parts, mostly vendor parts, are ....high. Some parts, are very reasonable. I will say one thing for them, NO other manufacturer puts their product through more refinements, over the models life than Stihl. The cable issue was a product improvement. It was far from a defect. Ever think how many cycles that cables been through. Some operators are constantly moving the throttle. Some not so much. All affects product life. As for online sales, I'm all for it not being avaiable. How would you like 1000 more L/S to desend on YOUR area. All depends what side of the fence you're on :)

#29 ·
I guess we'll agree to disagree Ricky. In the last 5 years we have had 1000's of new lawn boys descend on us. Part of the reason we are now doing things ourselves that we would not have in the past. Even the big boys are playing the cheap game these days.

Example: 5 years ago Valley Crest held a portfolio bid at 1.2M, SKB took it away for 1M, someone else just took it from SKB for $800K.

If anyone is doing well in this junk it's got to be the dealers and mechanics, because a lot if these guys hardly know which end of the edger to hold.

Piston, I am nice, and appreciative of the info you , restro, and Ricky give out. I just don't suffer arrogant fools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.