Stihl Chainsaw Advise/ Price Check

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TriCountyLawn, Jan 4, 2006.

1. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright guys its time for me to get a new saw. Ive been using my ole mans old saw forever (Stihl cant remember the model). A Chainsaw has been one of those tools that we use just enough that I used my dads. I just got a pretty good size brush/woods clean-up job and im gonna bite the bullet and get my own saw.

Prioir to this job I only used a chainsaw for downed trees and cutting timbers on retaining walls ect. However now my new home has a fireplace and woodburner and my new shop is heated by wood. So... A little more use for a saw now.

So just kinda looking for advise as to what saw to get. Im kinda looking at the MS260. I kinda want a saw that might be a lil overkill so to speak that way I dont ever grow out of it. And its going to have to stand up to employe use also ( we all know how that is).

Now just another quick question. I see the MS290 is listed under "Mid-Range" and the MS260 is under "Professional" So what makes them different?

Thanks guys

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Tri, Look at the MS260 "PRO" it's worth the extra $$ I have one with a 20" bar and I love it. The MS260 & the "PRO" version are basically the same except the pro has a decompression valve. The 290 I believe is the Stihl "Farm Boss". Would you know the diameter of most of the trees you will be cutting? All 3 of the saws mentioned come with the option of a 20" bar with the minimum being 16".

Good luck with your decision
    Rob

3. tstrong

tstrong LawnSite Member

If you post your question over at arboristsite.com(sorry I dont know how to post a link), they will give you a knowledgeable answer.

4. TriCountyLawn

The biggest thing that I can say ive had to cut so far was about 30" in dia.

5. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

If you are set on Stihl and even occasionally cut 30" I'd recommend a MS361 with an 18" bar.
    The MS290 is a consumer grade of saw that would probably last you for 20+ years, but the power to weight ratio is somewhat wanting.

6. TriCountyLawn

What kinda price range are we looking at with a MS361?

7. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

Just a WAG (bought a comparable saw four years ago) of around $550.

8. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a Stihl dealer that deals in volume then you can get the MS 361 for around $540 but if they try to stick it to you I THINK the msrp is $589 or $599 for this saw.

9. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i currently have a ms290 and two huskvarna 365 special's and i wouldn't take 10 290s for my 365's. we use chain saws on a weekly basis. when i was young dad had an 038 and a 044 and the were good saws, then both of them were stolen and we got a husqvarna 272 it was anwsome saw. but it was also stolen. having used mainly commercial saws all my life i prefer somthing with plenty of power and the 290 does not have it. when looking for a saw look at all of them and pick them up and find the largest one that you think you can handel for hours on end. bigger is better. remember a larger saw will be harder to handle but you will be done by lunch instead of working to 7o'clock at night

lynn

10. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

You are talking about two different classes of saw. Of course a 65cc saw is going to outcut a 50cc saw.

Instead of looking at weight alone, you should consider the power to weight ratio. The next size up of Husky (372) weighs the same as your saw and has more power...more cc. By the way, those saws have been replaced in the line-up with heavier but not more powerful 5XX series saws.