stihl chainsaw problems

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by josh1981, Feb 16, 2008.

1. josh1981

josh1981 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a stihl ms290 chainsaw that I have had since november of 2006. It has been a good saw, has done everything I wanted it to do. I am now having problems with it though. I went to start it up after having the chains sharpened today and started up fine but idling was TERRIBLE. I cleaned the air filter and spark plug before I started it up. SO I restarted it a few times and still idling poorly. I got the instruction book and did what they said to do to ajust the idling (H, L, LA). Needless to say it did not fix the problem. If you can get it started up you can give it gas but dies right after you give it gas. doesnt hold an idle. and high idle screw is stripped.

notes so far:

cleaned spark plug and air filter
    will not hold idle
    if you can get it running can give it gas but dies right after
    started acting up a few weeks ago but still ran ok
    high idle screw is stripped

also the gas and fuel caps have a string inside the saw holding them to the saw, this string is broken on both

Also I have a stihl ms180c miniboss that has a small crack on gas tank so will drip gas sometimes, but very little, also a little hesitant to get running sometimes, cleaned air filter and spark plug

basically I have ran these saws hard off and on for 2 years cleaning a lot of brush and trees from around the house.

I have 2 professional stihl blowers, edger and weedwhacker. have given me absolutely NO TROUBLE.

SO I am wondering if it would be worth fixing everything on the saws (not sure how much it would cost) or get a new stihl professional chainsaw that I know will last for what I am doing in the yard.

Please let me know what you all think. this is a very hard decision.

2. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would take the 29 model to a stihl dealer and get it fixed. Stihl is a good name and the dealers seem to stand by their products. I would get them both repaired.

3. Lawnvision

Lawnvision LawnSite Member

Mine do the same thing from time to time, but still run fine overall. Have the dealer go thru them. In my opinion Stihl is the top brand.

4. josh1981

Yes I have found that out. Great dealers and great saws.

but I am wondering how much it would cost to fix?

5. josh1981

yes stihl is the best.

how much do u think cost to fix?

6. Lawnvision

My dealer is $70 Hr, probably a min. of 1.5 Hrs.

7. josh1981

i was afraid of price being high.

how do the professional saws compare to mid range and low end (ms 170, 290)? better stronger parts?

8. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

If you take it in for service, they'll probably throw a new carb on it- which is a quick and easy (and cost effective) way to fix the problem. We've had it done many, many times on trimmers and a couple saws. It's more affordable than buying a new saw and should get you back to square one.

Yea, messing with those idle screws can be a pain!! Once you fix one just right, the other will mess up. And everytime you set it to the "factory" setting, it never seems to run, always takes a bit of tweaking.

9. Lawnvision

You Know, I have a 14" crafstsmen and a 16" Poulan that have been great for me as well . sorry i don't own a smaller Stihl.

10. josh1981

both decent saws.

no i was asking how stihl professional saws compare to their mid range saws.