Stihl Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Mar 9, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never owned a chainsaw, heck I have never used one. I want a stihl brand because I own some other stihl products and have been happy with them. I need something that I can trim no bigger than 8" branches with and occasionally cut down a smaller size tree for a customer. This saw will be used less than once a month.

I was thinking a ms 210 their smallest saw would do what I need. It has a 16" bar.

Am I going to want something with more power....or for the occasional use that I will use it for is this suffecient?

2. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

the 210 is fine for what you want. thats the one i have. don't use it much but very handy when needed. i'm not in the tree business so a bigger saw is not needed.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 009 which used to be the smallest model, I think. It has more than enough power for cutting up to 12" diameter wood. Any of the small Stihls will be powerful enough for what you want to do. Since you say you have never used a chain saw get some training so that you don't hurt yourself. Your Stihl dealer should be able to give you some advice. Stihl has a DVD on chain saw safety for $5.

4. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Look at the MS 290 Farm Boss saw, or the Wood boss saw, both are excelent saws. We have 2 MS 290's one with a 16" bar and a 20" bar. Has plently of power to fell a good size tree, and is still light enough to where it can be used to cut the limbs off easiely. Definatly go with Stihl. Make sure you know what you are doing tho with a saw, for every second a spinning chain hits your skin, they say its like 30 Stiches. Equip your self with chaps, gloves, ear and eye protection. The most common spot to get cut is your left thigh, if you are right handed. Also watch out for back kicking, many people have been killed by this. But definatly check out the MS 290 or MS 270. Both excelent saws.

James
    JS LANDSCAPING

5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

I have a MS 290 and its a great saw. I agree with the folks above about the safety equipment. Personal protection equipment should be as important to you as choosing the right saw. Good Luck.

6. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i have a ms 310....lots of power. my brother has a 026 and a husky 350. the 026 has had many hrs of abuse in the woods of s ga. nary a problem..we both prefer the stihl saws to the husky. like was mentioned above, don't even think of cranking a saw without the chaps, and other safety gear, on. even for that "one" limb. a second is all it takes. our chaps have many nicks where we have bumped them with the saws. each one of those would have meant a trip to the ER and maybe to the OR. a good pair of chaps will run you about $100, or so. cheap insurance!!!!!!!!!!!

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Farm boss MS290 with a 20" bar which is great for making quick work of downed tree cleanups. I also have an older stihl 021 with a 16" bar which i use for delimbing downed trees. I've never had a problem with either.

8. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for your help guys. I will definitely look into the dvd on safety. I will probably just go with the smaller one...as much as I am going to use it.

LOL my wife would love it if I bought chaps...she is a country girl.

9. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have four Stihl chain saw: 029,026,018,MS250. I like the 026 the best for a all around saw: it has a 16" bar, it is light weight and has plenty of power. I think the 026 was replaced by a different model. The 018 is great for pruning overgrown shrubs and crate myrtle it has a 14" bar. We use the 029, MS250 mainly for cutting up fire wood. We dont sell firewood but we have two fire places.

10. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

017, 018, 011, 009, 021, 025, etc. should all be fine for what you need. Several people whom I have spoken with over the years have all raved about the 025. Don't know how much it costs, but they are nice little light weight saws.

Just make sure you get the chaps and helmet.