Stihl Chainsaws

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Rookie-Raker, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rookie-Raker

Rookie-Raker LawnSite Member

I am new to the business and this site. Where can I get the absolute best deal on a 14" or 16" Stihl chainsaw?

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

want to buy new or used:drinkup:

3. Rookie-Raker

I would like to purchase only new

4. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I have looked at many places and not really found any of there saws on sale. They almost always sell for full retail. You may be able to find someone to give you 5% off if your a good customer, not the norm though.

14" saw is a pretty small one. Which model are you looking at?

5. Rookie-Raker

I am looking at the MS-180CB-E. It is going for about $260 locally here in the Tulsa area.

6. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

That is about what they are going for around here. Stihl, along with many other companies, have some price protection I believe. Don't think your going to find it any cheaper. I would suggest that you find a dealer that can work on this machine and go for it.

7. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl saws aren't cheap, but you get your moneys worth out of them

8. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with DavidR that 14"&16" saw is small for commercial use. I started with a 16" Stihl and on the first job I realized I made a mistake and should have gotten a bigger saw. Lucky for me I have a good dealer who let me exchange it for the 20" Stihl MS310 even though I had used it. I would recommend you spend the extra cash on a 20" saw.

9. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

Stihl I am pretty sure will not even warranty many of there saws for professional use. You need to start pricing and talking about CC's as I can put a I can put a 16" on my Husquarvarna 363 (34 cc's) or I can put a 16" on my Husky 372xp(71 cc's) or my Husky 385xp (84 cc's). All of these saws will run a 12" or a 24". I was a professional logger before the Ground Maintenance world and I began running Stihl's but after trying the Husky I ran only Huskies. They are more balanced to use resulting in less employee fatique. Stihl's by far in my opinion make better blowers and trimmers than Husky but for a good saw and reliable then I would strongly look at trying out a Husky and in the XP model.

10. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I use an MS200T for my climbing saw but everything else I like the Huskies better too. Although if I was buying a new climbing saw now I'd probably go with a Husky for that one too.