Stihl Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztoro, Nov 25, 2004.

1. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

What the best all around Stihl Chansaw model?

I get a chainsaw to take care of some downed trees that occur once in awhile.

Whats the best length bar to have and which model do you suggest

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Depends on the type of tree in your area. Here a 16 inch bar would work fine but somewhere else a Farm Boss model MS290 with a 20 inch bar may be better. Used to use a Sthil 019 top handle for limbing and a Husky with a 16 inch bar for cutting larger limbs. If anything bigger was needed just rented it. Out here trees rarely get over a couple of stories tall except eucalyptus trees.

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The best Stihl all around saw is probably the Farm Boss 029 with a 18in bar. We just bought a Stihl 026 it is one of the professional grade saws. It has a 16in bar and has a lot more power than the 029 but costs a good bit more. For the price the 029 cannot be beat. Our 029 is about five years old and still is running strong through a lot of use.

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot the MS290 replace the 029.

5. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I agree farm-boss is the way to go plenty a power! and will last forever. :cool:

6. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I run nothing but Stihl chainsaws, power houses, more you run them, the stronger they get IMO. I got the Stihl 026 with 20" bar & 44 Mag.with 32" bar, both going strong. The 026, I use this more than the 44 Mag. Great for cutting up small to med. trees or big limbs. I break out the 44 Mag for huge trees and both cut through like a hot knife going through butter.

7. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

I have a 440 mag and 210. Both are great saws. I never us the 210 since I got 440. The 440 has a 18 in bar. A good combo of power and small sizeif you ask me. Remember to be careful with those saws. I got cut pretty bad two weekends ago bymy 440 mag. I was of the throttle after finishing a cut and set it on my left leg. The cut was 8 inches long and about an inch deep. Took 27 stiches to sew it up. Doc said i missed my artery by an inch or so. If I had hit that I would not have made it to the hospital according to the doc. Good luck and be careful.

8. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

The eucalypts must be an import?

I thought they were native Australians?

9. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

For around $300 you can't beat the Stihl MS290 Farm Boss with 18-20" bar. These saws are practically bullet proof. Buy it and love for the next 10 years!

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have the 025 and it's still running strong after 4 years.