1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Chipper Shredder Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JDeere Fan, Sep 27, 2004.

1. JDeere Fan

JDeere Fan LawnSite Member

Anyone used this machine? I was thinking of the purchase for my personal yard to use to pick up all the pine cones that seem to fall the more and more you try to pick them up. I was thinking that Vac may work well. Does it have the power to do this? Is it worth it?
  2. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

a stihl hand held vac/blower will not collect pine cones ..they are designed for leaves only
  3. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know about the Stihl,but the Echo version was my worst,least used piece of equipment that I ever purchased. Pine cones....they get clogged up with a small stick!
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I have a cheap Sears version. It won't do pine cones, but it does always surprise me at how well it handles small twigs.

I'm sure none of the handheld blower/vacs will handle pine cones, not even the commercial ones. Just too big.

Depending on the size of your lawn, how about a lawn sweeper for the pine cones? Just throwing out a thought, no personal experience.
  5. JDeere Fan

JDeere Fan LawnSite Member

Thanks guys I guess that sums that up... Not worth it!
  6. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I have one to used the vac part 1 time.better off blowing it with the back pack and rake it up.Mine is the bg85 I am impressed with the power of the blower in blower mode. Mostly use it on dry days for smaller walks and stuff.
  7. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

If your talking about the BG85 I have one and use it almost every day. The blower is great and the vac is OK , I mainly use it around pools so I dont blow anything into the water. Overall, Its a strong little blower but not a good vac except for on concret or brick. Just my 2 cents