Stihl Coils

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowermankevin, Jul 4, 2008.

1. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Y'all, First of all, Happy Fourth of July, !!! Just a problem I've run into, has to do with Sthil coils (ignition modules). Try this on for size, bought a half-dozen Stihl P# 4137 400 1350 B coils and there still sealed in the factory boxes, in plastic bags. So I pick up a BG-55 Handheld Blower, that has a fuel line leak, low hour, air cleaner not even dirty from the factory. This is a clean machine, today I take off the recoil housing, air cleaner assembly, clean and try to start it with a drill (turning it CCW, same as the recoil turns it). This machine started and ran on starting fluid in front of the owner and father and died after it ran out of fuel, we all saw the leaking fuel lines, and I get this sucker home for a quick fuel line replacement, and guess what? NO FIRE!!! Switched out 2 new coils, tested flywheel for magnet strength (good), disconnected kill to switch wires, threw my ignition tester across the shop, (still works), what the H#@% is up, Why no fire on something that was running untill I bought it home? Oh, by the way the A.C. went out last night about 5, and the temp is 98 or so in the shade, went out put gauges on the condenser, no Freon, system is 5 years old, of course for R-22 these days takes a license, cheapest bid so far $58/lb. thank you global warming, nice and toasty today, enuff of my ranting and raving',Y'all have a good Fourth, C'ya K

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to suggest the kill wire but you have that covered. How did you check for spark?

3. mowermankevin

khouse, I have one of the inline (spark plug boot to tester to spark plug) wires that have a bulb that glows orange when the coil fires, it works on other running machinery, but no fire out of the BG55. Have tried several different brand spark plugs, different coil to flywheel air gaps, and I'm still going backwards. Any ideas? Thanks, I'll keep you posted, getting ready to open the shop this A.M. after a little more Java.

4. khouse

If the kill wire is OK then really all that's left is the coil.

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not familiar with this model but do they use them little plastic spacers between the coil and the mount posts the keep the coil from grounding out?

The only other thing that comes to mind is a sheared flywheel key but should still see a flash on your test light:confused:

Last ? did you try reinstalling the recoil and pulling the unit over, instead of using the drill? Not sure y this would matter but its the only thing I can see that you did different.

6. mowermankevin

News Flash: I put the hand recoil back on, and waalaa it goes. I guess an electric drill spinning the flywheel is too fast/slow, I don't know, it works on everything else but not this BG55. Yeah, it's going again,AND the A.C. repairman is on the way, it's gonna be a good day! C'ya K

7. khouse

Life is good if your MowermanKevin!