1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

STIHL Commercial Lithium-Ion Series (Electric Rechargeable Trimmers/Blower) 36v

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by TimTim2008, Apr 17, 2012.

1. petscanning

petscanning LawnSite Member

I carry my blower with my just incase I dont want to use the back pack for small stuff

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use a bg55 90% of the time...before I can get a back pack out of the rack, crank and put it on...I grab the 55 out of the basket and crank it while walking to the side walk...

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are a few unknowns here. The first being, you are assuming the trimmer will even last to 720 hours. The second is the batteries won't last that long. The batteries are already down by 20% at only 375 hours (500 charges and each charge is good for 45 minutes on a brand new battery). The more number of times you charge the batteries the less time you will get to use that battery. By the time you get to the 500th charge the battery is only good for 36 minutes. You would probably need to replace the batteries at just about the time they start to turn a profit.

4. BBC.lawn.services

BBC.lawn.services LawnSite Member

really good points Richard. Unless gas get a gets really up there in $ I don't see these being able to make much of a dent in the bottom line

5. bucknut4u

bucknut4u LawnSite Member

I'm looking at buying a battery operated Stihl weed trimmer but it looks like the trimmers don't hold a lot of line. I don't want to be adding line everytime I turn around. Any thoughts?

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Swap out the head for a different/aftermarket one.

7. wall

wall LawnSite Member

I been using the FSA 85 trimmer and it works great the batteries are not the problem,,, It's the trimmer head it uses, low line capacity + can be cantakerous to reload. But I am just a home owner.

8. leon2245

leon2245 LawnSite Member

Just curious wall, "made in" what country is your FSA 85 stamped?

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am going to put a wind turbine on my electric van to help charge these things up.

10. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to my dealer to buy a hedge trimmer and he was basically trying to give away the battery powered one. I think he was up to 300 off for charger battery and trimmer. I told him the only way I would have one of those is for free or gas goes though the roof. If these batteries are anything like the ones in remote control cars and trucks they have to be cared for carefully. I also think time will take a bigger toll on the batteries than how many charges they have on them. Just not for me. (yet) Gas 15 a gallon I'll take a closer look.