Stihl, Echo, or RedMax - Inexpensive Blower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dmanindfw, Dec 11, 2006.

1. dmanindfw

dmanindfw LawnSite Member
    from DFW, TX

So I am in the market for an inexpensive blower and need some opinions on which route to go. This will be used strictly for residential use maintaining a 1/3 of an acre. However with that being said, I have a yard full of trees so I need something that is capable of blowing heavy mulberry leaves as well as tremendous quantities of sycamore and cottonwood leaves. My trash mulberry is approx 40' tall and with a 40' wide canopy. The sycamores (2) and the cottonwood are all about 90' tall. Also have a pecan and a couple of American Elms. So as you can imagine I have to deal with quite a few leaves.

With all this being said, I am looking for a blower that is very dependable and is strong enough to handle these leaves...but I am also asking the in-laws for this for Xmas so price is a concern as well...trying to stay right around $150. Yes, I am asking for a lot for a little:)

So here are my choices so far...please give your feedback:
    1) Stihl BG55 - 27cc, 140mph, 430cfm, and 69db, I think around $130-$150.
    2) Echo PB200 - 21cc, 145mph, 350cfm, and 65db, $159.
    3) RedMax - 25cc, 127mph, 363cfm, and 73db, about $159 I think.

It seems like there are a bunch of RedMax fans on here, but based on the manufacturer specs (not sure how accurately they measure though), it appears as though the Stihl and Echo have slight performance advantages.

Please provide some feedback based on real world use and opinions as well.
  2. exmarkmaster01

exmarkmaster01 LawnSite Member

I would most deff. go woth the echo pb-200. very nice blower. and also fun to use. It will get the job done.:)
  3. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I'd look at a small backpack, were I you. That sounds like a lot of leaves for using a handheld.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I agree get the Echo, the next one up is a little better but doesn't sound like you budget will allow the better units.
  5. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

you can buy a 150 mph weedeater featherlite blower for 70 dollars brand new.
  6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Please go back and read this part of the original poster's post

"With all this being said, I am looking for a blower that is very dependable and is strong enough to handle these leaves"
  7. josh1981

josh1981 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a stihl SG 85 blower and it gets the job done very nicely. Plus very easty to start and use.
  8. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

multiply the cfm x velocity to get a rough power factor to compare.

I have an old Stihl thats about 18 years old still going strong . I keep up a 1.75acre yard with numerous trees.
  9. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I don't think any of the models you have listed will handle large amounts of leaves. You need a good size back pack blower to do that, so, your budget needs to be about double what you have listed. do not be taken in by the junk back pack blowers you see at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. They are no better than the light-duty models you listed in your post.