1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl edger and chainsaw question?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagchevy4life, Mar 25, 2006.

1. scagchevy4life

scagchevy4life LawnSite Member

I've gone to the local stihl dealership this weekend. I kind of hate doing this because whenever i do, i allllways end up wanting to go in and buy everything :rolleyes: but we cant:nono: . So...
    I was looking to purcahse 2 items. Chainsaw is the eitehr the stihl farm boss, or the stihl ms 390. i'm not sure how their chainsaw's are, so ANY input would be appricaitated because i've been with husq b4 this one, good, but i want MO POWER.. :drinkup: .

Second question: I have 2 stihl pieces right now. FS85, and KM110R. Now...
    I wanted to pick up a EDGER. What is the best idea. Pick up the new FC110 stick edger? mount permantly to my fs85, or quiktatch to the km110.
    last question. I've never used a power edger... How hard is it to edge with one of those. I mean i plan on doing along sidewalks, but what happens if that thing slaps the concrete? Is there a guard?
    Any input is appricated and will be taken into consideration!
    Thanks ALL
    Gabe Chiulli
  2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Dont know what you mean by Farmboss, mayybe the 029 or 290 now? Any way, since I know about saws I will comment on that. The 290 and 390 are junk! 026, 028 other models are alot better. I would suggest a Husky saw before the Stihl, but if you have good service then stick away from most of the odd # Stihl saws!
  3. scagchevy4life

well thats good to know.. so the odds are bad haha who woulda thought..:drinkup:
  4. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

If the saw won't be seeing regular use then I would suggest the 290. It can take up to a 20" bar I think. The 390 should be able to go up to 24" or there abouts. They aren't meant for being used all the time, they are meant to be used on occasion to do semi demanding jobs ie; storm clean-up, cutting landscape timbers, etc. etc.
  5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl chainsaws are the absolute BEST - without question. :usflag:
  6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

What are you basing this opinion on? I have seen MANY of these saws used, they're actually the toughest non pro saws Stihl offers.

I've got much trigger time on these, and others. Stihl is undoubtedly one of THE BEST brands of saw out there.
  7. scagchevy4life

well that edger will be used everyday.. the stihl chainsaw will be used throughtout season to cut wood. I make like 10 cords of wood each year so that kinda usage.
  8. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

If the edger comes in contact with the side walk, some sparks will fly and little bits of concrete will sail through the air. It would be a good idea to wear some eye protection just in-case. Other that that, not much else! It doesn't have the "kick-back" reaction like a chainsaw as you would think. It can jump up out of the groove that you are cutting though. Because it will eat up the concrete, you will want to be careful not to get into it and especially decorative concrete edging.
  9. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

i have a sithl farmboss i have had for 7 years now, never services once, changed the spark plug just last year, sharpen after every other fill, and use it maybe once or twice a month. runs like it was new i wouldn't buy any other chainsaw except stihl.
  10. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

if your going to be doing a lot of edging i would spend the extra cash and get a real walk behind edger, more balls. those stick edgers are good for re-defining and maintaining but if you ever have to cut through dirt or define an edge you will be there all day.