1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl Edger and Trimmer vs. Echo Edger and Trimmer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Watwood, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Watwood

Watwood LawnSite Member

Getting new equipment.

At store one we have:

Stihl FC55 Edger at $250
    Stihl FS55 Trimmer at $200

At store two:

Echo PE200 Edger at $200
    Echo SRM210 Trimmer at $200

What do y'all recommend, or is it 6 in one, half dozen another?

Echos have 5 year warranty, Stihls have 2.
  2. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

No complaints from my Echo - does what I need it to.

Never had any maintenance problems.

Could have more power but it gets the job done depending on if your just trimming/manicuring vs. any heavy clearing. Its a little on the weak side if you use a brush cutter blade. I like the str8-bar trimmer vs. curved shaft but looks like the Stihl has more cc's.

My $0.02.

Got a Mantis for my edging/light cultivating - in hindsight should have gotten a combo unit (edger, hedge/grass trimmer w/1 power unit), but when I was in the market, most of the interchangeable units were curved shaft models.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Our ECHO equipment has been flawless ...
  4. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

I just bought the SRM-230 and love it. Starts on second pull and has plenty of torque.

Good Luck
  5. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i'm a Stihl diehard. fs 85, bg 85, ms 310, 020 hedgetrimmer. i needed an edger to maintain about 600' of drive. i had almost enough in HD gift cards to purchase the PE 200, which i did about 2 months ago.
    my impression of it is that it probably is satisfactory for the avg HO. it is underpowered for the initial clean-up, but it seems to do ok now that i have the edging under control.
    i think powerwise, there is not much difference bw the two. the 5 yr warranty is something to consider, but if i were to do it again and i was paying out of pocket for the unit, i would probably go orange. then again, that might just be my bias showing.
  6. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I can vouch for the SRM-210. I love it, I wish I would have bought it sooner. I am not crazy about my blower though. I have the Echo 413, It does the job and runs good, just something I don't like about it.
  7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Both are very good quality. Which dealer is going to give you the best service? If you need parts or a repair, which dealer will be the quickest and most helpful. You won't go wrong with either brand, so make your decision based on service.

8. Den69RS96

Den69RS96 LawnSite Member

have you looked at the Stihl kombi? Instead of two different engines to maintain, you just have one and can switch the attachments. I think the kombi 55 is $189 and the trimmer attachment is $89 and the edger is either $89 for the curved one or around $150for the straight.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

my STIHLs have a lot of power and dont give me problems