Stihl edger engine starts racing at high rpms doesn't sound good

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by South Florida Lawns, May 4, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I can't figure out what is making it do this, fuel mixture is fine (I only use stihl mix) low hours, and it has been broken in properly. When the trigger is held down it will just start to race and i back off the throttle but somthing must be wrong and my dealer is swamped right now. Anyone had this problem and know how to fix it?

2. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I would try adjusting the idle settings. There are two or three screws that adjust the idle/ speed settings. There should be instructions on how to do this in the manual.

3. walshdevo10

walshdevo10 LawnSite Member

I had the same problem. Mine just needed adjusting of the 3 settings. If you don't have the manual go to stihlusa.com and you can pull up the manual online to get the adjustment info.

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

This is either an adjustment screw out of whack, or an air leak. I would hope its the adjustment screw.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

oldsaw-addict is right. Now I just need to get him to move to Pensacola. I furnish my mechanics their own personal lap top computers and he could stay on Lawnsite all day.

Oldtimer

6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

If you were willing to pay for relocation, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

MY knowledge is a result of talking to and working with many mechanics, learning from hands on experience and just plain tinkering in my free time.