Stihl Edger Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by morgaj1, May 12, 2012.

1. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Who's on first?

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

No.....he's on second.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

I did not ask anything about the carb.:hammerhead: I have removed the limiters and tuned it with a tach, so I know it's fueling property. My question is why the lack of compression. I have seen many lean 2-stroke failures and the p/c on this edger doesn't look anything like that. As a matter of fact, the p/c look great. I am hoping a new set of rings will wake it up. Just waiting on them to get here.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  4. donjr5

donjr5 LawnSite Member

New rings will probably help, while you're at it, replace the crankshaft seals. They are a possible culprit, preventing the engine from developing enough vacuum to draw the proper amount of air/fuel into the crankcase.

5. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you sure......I thought he was pitchhitting for today or tomorrow...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

I got the edger apart this weekend and replaced the rings. I also checked the crank seals while I was in there and they were fine. After getting it back together, my edger is reborn! It runs well and has the same power that it used to. I just forgot what a pain a dual ring, 25cc p/c setup is to work with. I also wish that Stihl would run the cylinder bolts from the top, like most chainsaws. That way, you wouldn't have to remove the crankcase from the clutch.

Oh, I also cracked the plastic intake manifold (Stihl calls it a flange, I believe) when I was reassembling it. :cry: I put some silicone on it for now and will stop by the dealer tomorrow for a new one. But, for about $15 and some sweat equity, I got it going. :cool2:

7. lonestarniner

lonestarniner LawnSite Member

I can not get my FC75 started, I changed the spark plug, air filers and poured fresh True Fuel in it. I will not start, I removed the spark plug wire and I see it's getting a spark but will not crank. Also, I cleaned the spark arrestor screen.What else should I try?

8. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Is the spark arrestor screen still in? Is it clogged? If an engine cannot get rid of it's exhaust, it acts very, very tired!!!!

9. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Oopss, sorry, I should have read all of your 1st post--my bad!!!!:dizzy: