Stihl Edger Straight vs Curved

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by acerwi, Mar 26, 2012.

1. acerwi

acerwi LawnSite Member
    from WI

Looking at edgers, likely part of the Kombi system. Any opinions on the curved edger for $99 vs the straight edger for almost double that? Easier to see, more power, less clogging, etc...

Thanks for any input.

2. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

How often will you be using it?

3. acerwi

acerwi LawnSite Member
    from WI

Probably not a lot right away, a couple hours a week maybe. I'll use it for sidewalks and for cleaning up bed edges.

4. tlc1994

tlc1994 LawnSite Senior Member

Most guys prefer the straight shaft. I`ve always used one, and to me they are easier to edge with. Plus they are easier to store without having a big, obtuse curve.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 1whitetail

1whitetail LawnSite Member
    from florida

I have the curved shaft edger that is part of the kombi system that you mentioned. It is not a bad edger but I have been told that the straight shaft edger is more powerful. If you edge on a regular basis and never have to edge overgrown edges than the curved shaft is probably adequate enough for you. One thing that I recommend is a four pointed star edger blade. It is night and day compared to a regular edger blade and last a lot longer :clapping:.

6. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We like the straight shaft edger.

7. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people like one, some people like the other. I have the straight, and like it a lot. It's got plenty of power to start an edge that hasn't been cut before (the curved may not).

People who prefer the curved, say it spins faster, and cuts better (with less power though). I'm not sure. I will say that if my edge is severely overgrown, I sometimes have to come back with the string to clean up stragglers sticking way onto the sidewalk, but I don't know if the curved would handle that better.

The four pointed blade may cut better and last longer, but the rectangles I get are something like a buck a piece if you buy in bulk.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've had both on the same power head. I bought a FC95 with the straight shaft. While it does have more power, it comes at the cost of blade speed. I didn't care for the slower speed since it did leave stragglers. I took my curved shaft off of my old FC75 and put it on the FC95. It made a world of difference to me.

Also, just for grins and giggles, I took the straight shaft trimmer off of my old FS80 and put it on the FC95 power head just to see how a 4 Mix trimmer felt. I didn't care for the serious imbalance. That power head is just too heavy for use as a trimmer to me.

9. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the FC 90 curved shaft edger, and I like it (although I've never had a straight shaft edger). If the edge is really overgrown, I still have to go back and straighten it up with the string trimmer.

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have both curved and straight (kombi) like another member said, the curved is faster. Both do a great job, but I'd save the curved for weekly edges and straight for new.
    Posted via Mobile Device