Stihl Equipment Complaints

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottishmaximus, May 4, 2003.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I think that some stihl equipment has bad engineering. some of these are:

BR 420: (have owned about a year)

- sucks shirts into blower
    * very dangerous and messes up shirts
    - fuel tank hard to fill completely full
    * have to tilt it to fill
    - back padding won't stay snapped on
    - can be hard to start and if you flood it, impossible
    * no reason why it can't start 1 pull
    - use a makita- 1 pull everytime, everytime
    - blower tube already broke
    - vibrations
    * not extremely bad but can be improved

FS 85: (plenty of experience)

- heavy
    - can be hard to start
    - trimmer head falls apart

BG 85 (plenty of experience)

- can be hard to start

029 chainsaw (some experience, a few days choppin)

- vibrates at idle
    * goes away when revved but could be improved

In saying can be hard to start, I consider four pulls hard to start. These are four pulls after you "know" the piece of equipment too. These stihl products do have some nice features about them. It is these drawbacks that keep stihl from being the best. And I must say that i love the dealer support.

Anyone else have any complaints about stihl equipment?

2. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

Although I am getting used to my fs85 I don't know if I like the angle of the cutting head. It seems that the positioning of the cutting head causes the line to scalp in the front and be too high in the back. I have to almost stoop down to level off the cutting head so it cuts flat and doesn't scalp and I am only 5' 11". I noticed that echo has a steeper angle on their cutting head which would reduce this problem. I too am having problems with my Stihl FS85 starting. I posted a thread on this very subject and I got some good advice but I still can't duplicate the 2 or 3 pull start consistently day in and day out. Seems like they are very unpredictable as to how well its going to start from day to day, although, I may not be familiar enough with it yet because its new. I do like the amount of power and the ability to have a brushcutter blade. :)

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I have a BR 420 C Magnum with less than 5 hours. It seems fine now but I have heard some bad mouthing :rolleyes: about this model.

I am starting to think I should have gotten a 650 instead....If I only knew about Lawnsite.com last October :rolleyes: but oh well.

Well See how it works in the next few weeks, It may have to go up on ebay :blob4: :blob2: :dizzy:

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to sound like a smart ***, but why do you have so much Stihl equipment if you don't like it?

5. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

I have complaints about the blower's and the blowers are the only peice of sthil equipment i have quit useing and switched to another brand.
    Man you right about it sucking your shirt tail up in the houseing.
    One time one even sucked my bandana out of my pocket into the houseing lol.

Every other sthil stuff ive used i love,stick edgers ,trimmers ,hedge trimmers,concrete saws.

Im a pretty big brute and the heaviness of the fs 85 aint a factor with me they all feel light to me.
    I love my fs 85 trimmer and it aint hard to start.The hs 80 hedge trimmer is a great piece of equipment.

6. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

He said they had good features and good support... he just wanted to discuss the drawbacks.

I just use Stihl string trimmers. They have performed very well for me. You are right they don't start the best sometimes, but they sure perform day in and day out for me with consistence and lots of power.

Yacht is hitting on another drawback I have with my Stihl trimmers. If I need to trim a larger area, in order to get a smooth cut I have to stoop down in the back. So I guess a different angle on the head would help. Does anyone have more feedback on this drawback?

7. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

yacht and mowing maddness

i too have had problems with stooping to get an even cut. I am about 5'11". I thought it was just the weight or me, but man is my lower back soar after using one.

i personally use husky trimmers and edgers. uncle has the stihl trimmer that i use when i help him.

8. matt223

matt223 LawnSite Member

i also have the problem with having to stoop down to use the trimmer but i am 6'6'' so they are all like that.
    i have only had my shirt sucked into the BR420 one time and it was only a little bit.
    i do agree that stihl equipment have starting problems. sometimes the blower takes up to 6 pulls. it is the most powerfull blower i have used but the end is broken off. my employer really needs to get that fixed.

9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I have two 420's. I haven't had any problems with them. Payed for themselves in 2 weeks last fall. I am going to pick up 2 more this fall. I have tried the big echo's. To me they are to heavy after a long 8 hour day. The Stihls are light and powerful, and will treat you better after 8 hours of lugging it around. I have to say they dont start first pull. They will start with no more than 5 pulls. Once they start though look out, they will blow some leaves.

So it takes me 5 pulls, but when they are fired up, we can blow with the best of em. Get 3 420's going in a yard full of leaves, 2 hours, and $400.00 dollars later the yard is spotless!:D

10. matt223

matt223 LawnSite Member

those BR420s weigh a ton i dont know what you are talking about. if they are working so great why do you have to buy two more this fall??