Stihl FC110. Convince me to get one.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, Sep 17, 2006.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Currently, I use an Echo PE-200 stick edger.

It works fine for maintaining edges, or cutting edges with slight overgrowth.

Any kind of significant overgrowth, forget about it. It flat out sucks. I have to make 2 passes or more to get a clean cut where I can peel the sod off the sidewalk. It will bog down and the blade will stop just from dirt that has accumulated in the guard. I have to get something with more power.

Is the FC110 really that much more powerful? I hear everyone on here raving about how it cuts through anything.

I have had to rent a Brown Trenchers Edgemaster a few times for some nasty overgrowth. With the 5.5HP Honda engine, it has ripped through anything and everything like butter.

The thing is, this is a 1200 buck edger. I don't even know what the going price for the FC110 is.

Do I go with the FC110 or splurge on the Edgemaster?

2. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

i still use fs-85 w/ gear box off a edger and still have more power then i need alot of time. i own a 110rx and can't want for this one to go out so i can buy a new 110

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

What are you edging exactly? Are you edging along sidewalks or bed edges?

If your edging sidewalks nothing beats an FC110. That PE-200 is a toy compared to the Stihl, Echo PE-200 21.2CC VS the FC110 at 31.4 also the Stihl holds more fuel than the Echo. PE-200 15.2oz, Stihl FC110 18oz. Don't forget that if you go with the Stihl your not losing power due to the off set head. Another Plus for the FC110 is you can buy different attachments for it. I hope this has helped you some.

Rob

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Stihl is an excellent piece machinery, has low down grunt power, and will power through overgrowth alone sidewalks that leaves stripes of sod behind.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Splurge on the Edgemaster, it not my money. lol

6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

what i did on mine is cut off the outer lip with a dremil

7. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Dude,

You are comparing a $200 homeowner edger from Echo to an almost $400 edger from Stihl.

The "top of the line" Echo PE-260 does a great job for around $339. It goes through anything I throw at it. You might consider an Echo PAS-260 with the edger attachment...you can add other attachments down the road and save money...

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, I realize that. I bought it months ago before I knew better:)

I want to buy an FC110 but want to be sure it will cut through just about anything. From what I gather reading so far, it looks like it will.

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

from the echo web site

10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Frontier, Your comparing a toy at 21.2CC to 31.4CC 4 MIX. With power out the @$$.

Rob