stihl fc75 won't stay running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TriMLawN, Nov 7, 2007.

1. TriMLawN

TriMLawN LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

I can't figure out what's going on with this edger. It will start with the choke on, but after turning the choke off it shuts off unless you keep the throttle wide open. Any ideas on what's going on? Air filter, spark plug andfuel filter are new. I just replaced the fuel filter a few days ago. Any chance there is a problem with it? thanks for the help.

2. Jay74

Jay74 LawnSite Member

Replaced the carb, internal check valve is bad. More than likely... Or low speed circuit plugged.

3. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

Had same problem. Replace the carb and save yourself some headache. Thank God for chinese Zama carbs.

4. mowranger

mowranger LawnSite Member
    from ms

1)May pull the spark arrester out of the muffler!
    2)carbon build up in exhaust port?
    3)is gas holding in the primer blub?

5. TriMLawN

TriMLawN LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

So after playing around with the edger a little more I see it's getting a spark, air/fuel filter are good. I started the edger and sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner in it. Each time it died I restartedit then sprayed more carb cleaner in it. it seems to be running a bit better now, but not great. Now it will stay running without the throttle wide open, but it still feels a bit low on power. I guess the only solution is replacing the carb? Are these carbs hard to install? I do most of my work myself, but I've never replaced a carb. Thanks for the info.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

OUCH! Carb cleaners in 2 cycle engines is not a good idea!

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

replace the zama carb. problem solved

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I had that same problem with my fs100, it tested my patience most of this season until one day it just wouldn't start anymore. See, back in the days I was always trying and trying, now it's like "no start? ok, no problem." Ran it up to the dealer, grabbed my spare, it was fixed the next day.

Cost, 75
    The problem?
    Carb :laugh:

They just put in some part vs. replacing it, probably a gasket or a diaphragm.