Stihl FC75

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DSIM, Sep 8, 2007.

1. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

My Stihl edger just recently developed a problem after 4 or 5 years. It will start up and run for a short time with no problem, but when running for at least 10 minutes and then shut off, it will not start again until cooled off. Also yesterday I had several houses in a row and after the edger got hot, it just quit running.

Was wondering if this would be a carb problem or ignition?

Could it be the coil?

I bought a used Stihl fc110 on ebay last night. Can't wait to get it.
    thanks for any suggestions.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, some to all (stihl) 2-cyclers do that crap, not sure about other brands but with stihl it's normal and no fun.
    Most don't do it when they're new, and I can't remember if Echo does it because I run almost all Stihl's and just about every one of them did this to me at some point in time, not sure on the 4-mix'rs because they came out later but the 2-cyclers ALL do it (chainsaws, trimmers, edgers, blowers, you name it).

It's a royal pita, I know all about it, shut it down when hot and you got two choices: Either start it RIGHT back up or let it cool for 15-20 minutes, it will NOT start any other way, not that I know of.

Over time I simply trained myself to finish whatever work so long the tool was running, never shut a tool off until I'm done with it, so then this method eventually became second nature so I haven't had this problem in years, but yeah it was a fun learning experience.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

ing module. these model sthil are famous for this. i dont use this model any longer due to this problem. there should be a life time warrenty on this defective part or a recall but there isnt

4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

ok, we know the symptoms but what is the source of the problem?

I found a website that sells the ignition module for $24.95. Cheap enough IF that will fix it.