Stihl FC95 Edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ltw77, Mar 27, 2012.

1. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

I must be losing my mind. My edger works perfectly but when I changed my blade last year I broke the bolt before I ever got the blade tight. I thought I had the lock washer and flat washer backwards. I got a new bolt and switched the washers order and got the blade tight.
    I did the same thing this year, but I just wanted to tighten the bolt because the blade came loose. I never took anything apart. So is my dealer giving me a bolt that is too long or am I just crazy?!
    Strange that it held for a while and then came loose, only to break when I put a wrench to it. Thanks for any suggestions!!

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I think the bolt is a left-handed thread.

How do you "break a bolt?" I have this edger, and can't imagine being able to break the bolt. I use the wrench that came with the unit. If I remember correctly, the washer is splined. I recall the bolt being about 1/2" long, maybe 5/8". The lock washer should always be against the head of the bolt, washer bearing on the blade.

Pics?

3. BKLAWNCARE

BKLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I broke the bolt as well and it is a reverse thread put i didnt have any problem after that

4. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I have this same edger and I can vouch that it is indeed left-hand threaded. Haven't had any trouble with mine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

I know the thread is left handed and all. Basically when I tighten it, the bolt gets snug but the blade still turns easily like there is no pressure on it @ all. I keep tightening and pop. The head of the bolt snaps off. I measured the bolt after the break. It appears to be 1 1/8" in length. It just seems to me the bolt is too long. If I can turn the bolt til the head shears off, the blade should be tight as a tick! Just curious as to what others may have experienced. I really appreciate everyone's input. I will probably try a shorter bolt and if that doesn't work, I'll pursue the dealer and see if they can get it tight! Thanks again!

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I changed my edger blade this evening, and here are some pics that should answer several questions posed in this thread.

P1670026.jpg

P1670027.jpg

P1670030.jpg

P1670033.jpg

P1670036.jpg

P1670037.jpg

P1670039.jpg

P1670040.jpg

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The rest of the pics, ...

P1670041.jpg