Stihl filler caps---new 1/4 turn vs. old screw-on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Two Seasons, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Our opionion of the Stihl filler caps is this:

New 1/4 turn filler cap allows dirt to get into the fill neck during use---and then washed into the fuel tank when refilling.

Old screw-on filler cap doesn't allow dirt to get into the fill neck during use---so there isn't any dirt to wash into the fill tank when refueling.

Have you noticed this too? Do you wish Stihl would reconsider going back to the old design?

2. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to mention they are hard to get back on. I have not experienced what you bring up but thats not to say it couldn't become an issue.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the old sthil caps sometimes cracked on me. i have no issue with the new ones

4. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I think the new caps are a little over-engineered, but they are German after all. I don't like the dirt issue you mentioned and the cap on my BR600 is a pain to get on or off sometimes. However, I do like the venting when you lift up on the tab; keeps you from getting gas sprayed on you on hot days.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The new ones suck in my humble opinion. PITA.
    Love Stihl but this is a bonehead idea.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

When I first got my BR600 I couldnt even get the damn thing to lock. Everytime I folded down the top it would unlatch...I thought to myself, what a stupid idea!!

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

ahhh yes, nothing quite like strapping on that backpack and ya get going then the mind starts to wondering why is my butt feeling so cool no, wait, it's a wet feeling, hmmmm I didn't think it was raining now hold on a second let me take a look... OMG the fuel is LEAKING!!!

They're not bad once I got used to them, but I'd say it took a good long year before I did, I'd still go back to the old ones thou I do agree I have an old style that leaks also...

8. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

ya agree, hard to get use to. thought i broke my other day when trying to get done, couldn't get the top to flip down.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I hate that stupid cap with a passion. I have had trouble with it not securing properly too. Gas all the way down my leg.

10. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

I HATE...the new style cap. Myself and my workers have gotten use to it, but occasionally one is installed wrong, with fuel as expensive as it is..even a few drops of fuel are precious to lose on account of a stupidly designed cap not getting fitted just right.