Stihl FS 100 RX or Echo 265T

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Dec 10, 2009.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS100RX.html

http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=SRM-265T&Category=TRIMMER

I would like to here from anyone that has ran both.

Yes I did a search and found some good info., but come on it's Dec., lets talk about them. :)

We have a couple of 265T's and we like them. We also have Stihl blowers and and edgers and we like them.

Looking at the specs, the 100Rx is lighter and has more power than the 265T.

We need to get a couple of more trimmers before spring. I may buy a 100RX and try it out.

The 4 mix sure is easy to start.

2. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my 100, best dedicated trimmer imo! Had good luck with the 4 mix!

3. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had both. For the last 2 years we have run nothing but Stihl hand helds including the 100 RX. Other than maint, there's been no problems and we run these very hard 8 months out of the year.

4. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

I like the Stihl. The only downside is that the 100RX has a hollow shaft and a lighter duty gear box, so you can't run attachments or brush blades on it. As a dedicated line trimmer though, it's perfect.

5. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

As long as this is a dedicated trimmer unit, the FS100RX is by far the better unit. We've seen hardly any service problems out of these units. Except for customers removing guard and over tightening the gear head mounting screws causing the housing to crack. But all replaced under warranty at no cost to the customer.

Every landscaper that has at least one says that the crew members almost fight over who gets to use theirs.

6. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

This is not a downside. But the way its designed, its strictly for trimming. If you want to use one for brush cutting then purchase the FS110R for only $10.00 more.

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I bought my 100rx almost 2 years ago and have had no problems with it. It is a very powerful trimmer and very comfortable to use. Like others have said the only downfall is that you can't really use any gear box attachments on it. But for a dedicated trimmer, this would be my first choice.

8. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the info.

I should have mentioned that I'm aware that you can't run attachments. That's not a problem we plan to use them as trimmers only.

We will be tacking the guard off any trimmer we get, always have.

Has anyone ran both?

Thanks

9. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for dissecting my post and then restating exactly what I said, I really didn't think anyone was going to understand it.:rolleyes:

10. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually your both wrong I've been using attachments on my fs 100's for years no problems not even a broken shaft once. I'd avoid the edger att. but the hedger and chainsaw are fine.