Stihl FS 100 RX

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Thirdpete, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Hey, I've been lurking here for a while but haven't posted. Here goes....

Bought a new trimmer today. It's my second year in business and the curved shaft echo i had died on me, I was kind of planning on that.

Went to Russo Power in Chicago, got the FS100, and used it on six houses.

Pros:
    Lots of power
    Low idle RPM
    Easy-tap head
    Small guard

Cons:
    Takes 5-10 seconds to get to idle
    Heavier than Echo

That's all i can think of for now. Overall, I'm happy (so far) with the new toy.

2. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I bought the same trimmer this year. I to like this better than my fs80 but add to con list: can't attach blade to this unit

3. Thirdpete

from Chicago

I haven't had any use for the blade....

Also add to the con:
    What's that little piece above the handle that slides around the shaft? Seems useless to me.

4. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I went to use the blade for some heavy brush and found out due to the lifetime warranty on the drive shaft, this unit does not accept blades.

That piece I use all the time to carry the trimmer from yard to yard one handed. It seems on mine at least that the trimmer is balanced at this point.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't that where you'd clip on a shoulder strap?

6. Thirdpete

from Chicago

No, not that piece. It's a piece of plastic tubing fitted around the shaft that sits loosely.

7. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

stihl does not want you to put a blade on the fs100 and the fs110rx because it has a hollow aluminum drive shaft.But at my dealer ship if you want to run a blade on a fs110rx we will put the solid shaft and the liner to match under warranty when it breaks.I have a fs130 and love it at 1.7bhp.

8. Thirdpete

from Chicago

One of the dealers around here said you could attach the chainsaw, edger, hedge trimmer, etc, but you just had to take the gear box off it. Currently, i don't have use for those, but maybe he was mistaken and it doesn't work that way. Either way, i think it's a solid trimmer...only test now is time.

9. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

It will fit but it will break the shaft on the fs100 and 110rx the 130 has the solid shaft,yes it would fit.