1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl fs-100rs wow!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowjeep, Apr 30, 2008.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using a Stihl fs-110rx for the past year and love it. It does get a little heavy after about a 1/2 hour of trimming but has tons of power. So I hire a helper and needed a second good trimmer so my dealer sold me on the fs-100rs. It feels 5 pounds lighter than the 110 even though its only 2 pounds lighter. It has a quiet tough sound and seems to have just as much power as my 110. Just thought I would pass it along.
  2. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

the 100 is pretty nice but just be aware that you can only run the stringhead and the polycut 20-3 head on that unit because of the lighweight gearhead and aluiminum drive shaft (instead of the steel shaft used on the 90/110/130
  3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer says you can use the att. on the 100 I know what Stihl says. I know a lot of guys running att. no problems. Worst case break a shaft and replace it for $25.:waving:
  4. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

How much does it weigh?
  5. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

It is listed at 10.4 pounds but it has to be with gas because even full it feels light.
  6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Actually it weighs 10.8 lbs without the guard or head. The redmax 2601 weighs 11.1 lbs with both on it. So the stihl 100 does weigh more than 10.8.
  7. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

If you want a really light trimmer. . .

Take an FS 100RX and and swap out an older Stihl 25.4 cc "PRO" engine for the 4-mix. That will shave about another pound off the weight.

(My FS 100 RX was running poorly, so I swapped out the engine from my old curved-shaft FS 75 until I had time to diagnose the problem. The trimmer was really light, however the old engine is not near as smooth and quiet as a (repaired) 4-mix, so I swapped them back).