Stihl fs 100rx To buy or not to buy??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smcunningham, Mar 19, 2008.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Its a Stihl fs100rx. It csmetically looks real good...It runs ,starts on first pull.....How much do they retail for? and how much does everyone think a used one is worth. Its @ a auction

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought one on saterday, so far it is really nice. I haven't gotten to use it on yards yet since there is still a little snow on the ground here. I was able to use it to cut down some ornimental grasses and old flowers, it ran great, very little bog even going through the thick stuff. These use a new engine that is supposed to be pretty nice. My dealer said that I could put some attachments to replace the trimmer if I wanted, which makes it very versitle. Anyway...so far I really like it. I bought it at $329+tax

3. Nick's Lawn Care

Nick's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

On the FS100 RX you can NOT add attachments. It does not have the shaft what the FS 90 and FS 110 have. I have had the trimmer for three years and it has been great but i wish i would have bought the FS 110 or FS 130....

-Nick

4. aird208

aird208 LawnSite Member

I run all fs100rx trimmers, they run awesomely. At an auction I'd probably pay at the most $180, if its as clean as you say. It is a used trimmer and who knows what the guy that had it before you did to it.

5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Read about hybrid 4 cycles first.

6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 3 of them. We have run the crap out of them with no problems at all. Don't remember what I paid for them.

7. smcunningham

thanks for the replies so far.....:waving:

8. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

at first i was very sceptical of the 4-mix and thought there was nothing better than a stihl fs85. my personal opinion is the fs110 is the best weedeater i have ever used hands down.......

9. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i had one that lasted ONE MONTH. first couple weeks it ran great then after that i noticed a tremendous decrease in power. the valves carbon up REALLY easy if you dont run them with the guard on which is what i did. (before i get bashed for it) i know you're not supposed to run any trimmer without the guard but i like to run long string. this is a big no no with the 4 mix trimmers. if you run the guard they run great especially with the ultra oil and have good power. and whoever said it before me, you cant put attachments on it. it's made just for trimming.

10. smcunningham

I guess when you take the guard off the sting is longer pulling more power which in turn is loading the engine causing more carbon build up(or something to this effect).
    Can the valves be adjusted and do you need any special tools to do so????