Stihl FS 110 Trimmer VS Stihl FS 85

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yacht, Jan 7, 2003.

1. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

I'm in the market for a new trimmer this year. I have read and studied the specs on the different trimmers and decided that I would like a Stihl product but need a little more power than the FS 85 can provide. This means I can go with the FS 110 or the FS 250. I'm thinking I don't want the FS 250 since its quite a bit heavier than what I want. Does anyone have any experience with the FS 110? Is it really better than the FS 85? The FS 85 has 25cc's and the FS 110 has 30cc's. Any info is appreciated.:)
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The FS110 is a 4Mix---hybrid 4 stroke trimmer. You still have the fuel/oil mixture. The FS110 is only 1/2 lbs heavier, but makes more torque. More torque means handling harder conditions.

Have you ever tried a FS85? They have a good bit of power as it is. The motor make plenty of power for most jobs, and the metal clutches lock up very well and they can handle some pretty tough situations. The FS110 should really do some hard work.

I have a few FS85's and one has more than 2000 hours on it. It still runs like new. Its the one that only I use. It is one of the trimmers that see's daily use.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I forgot, they attachments that go on the FS85 are the same that will fit the FS110.

Only 1 job we do does the FS85's ever run full blast. Most of the time its 1/2 throttle or less to get the job done very quickly.
  4. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

We are running all FS85's -- six to be exact. They are under the equipment photos forum and we have never had any problems with them at all. We heard about the new four stroke but haven't seen it yet. My opinion is why change a good thing. We run all the same model so we only have to carry very few spare parts.

5. yacht

yacht LawnSite Member

65 Hoss - Thank you for the input. Do you know if there is a difference performance wise with the 6" spool vs the 4" spool? I've always used the 4's and never a 6.

I need a machine that can handle heavy, thick, wet grass. This coming year I have alot of ditch banks to mow and that was why I was thinking of getting something with a little extra kick like the FS110 with 30cc's. I guess if its only a 1/2lb heavier I might go with it. I now have a curved shaft homelite (23 or 24cc). It can't cut its way out of a wet paper bag. Do you use your FS85 machines in the above described conditions?:)
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I really could not say about the spool.

I do a pond bank every other week. That is the only time I get even close to wide open. It takes about 30 minutes when we do the entire thing.
  7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Have only used FS85. In fact I have the one before the 85 (I think it is a 75) and on the rare occassions I have a weedeater in my hands it is still the one I reach for. It is nearly ten years old and other than normal maintenance (plugs, filter ect.) I have only had to replace the clutch once. It runs as well as it did new except being louder because of the rusted out muffler. The bigest problem with heavy wet grass is that it has a tendency to wrap around the head requiring periodic stops to clear it. Maybe the extra cc on the 110 will eliminate this problem but I sort of doubt it.
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

myne does too what can be done to fix this?

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

Don't compare a homelite with a Stihl, there is no comparision. All we run are FS85's. They see alot of work every week. We have never had a problem with power from the stihls. Just make sure to run Stihl oil in them. We have since they where new- going into the 4th season now. I have heard some problems from others as far as the carbs go- gumming up or whatever, but I think the key is using there oil.
  10. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

have owned 4 Fs 85 went redmax and wont go back now.