Stihl FS-110R Disabled by Trigger Assembly!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Jul 8, 2006.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I know all the trash talk I have given other brands but this may be the last time I go with Stihl...I was out trimming on Thursday and my trigger stuck in and shot the thing to full throttle...the trigger could only be pulled out with my thumb and forefinger any time I wanted to throttle down...When I got home I took the assembly apart and if you can imagine that the trigger tension metal spring snapped into two pieces causing this whole ordeal...For something like this to happen on an expensive trimmer is absurd...I called the store that I bought it from and sure enough I was the one in a million that they claim this has happened to...they always tell me this when stuff ain't running right...they tell me that they have to order it which will take a week or more and they could overnight it and charge me the overnight charge--are they kidding me? I think they should be taking one of those springs off of their display machine for me...this thing is still under the 1 year crappy warranty...I may go redmax next time...anyone else have this happen or am I the poster child for manufacturer defects? Heck, my BR600 still ain't running right after 100 miles of driving to and from their store...over 6 hours driving and fuel costs...they better not charge me one cent and get a spring off of one of their trimmers for me...this ain't right...a tension spring -- go figure...
  2. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have had that done for me several times for different equipment.
  3. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

"At such and such, service is a fact, not just a promise." That is the BS they boast...I will have to write someone in congress to have a spring taken off the display machine...Again, they said that this had never happened in their store's history...they said they did not have any of those springs and my trimmer would be out a week...I will rig it up for now somehow...I have a backup to use...I have a monkey that I turn loose with two small ninja does wonders with the weeds...
  4. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

Dont get too bad bent out of shape, #$%^ happens. i bought a redmax 2400 weedeater and i like it all right but i am going to stick with stihl. i have a fs 83 and a fs 85 that have been trough the ringer and i still use all day every day. it sounds like i have a better dealer than you though. they have always had whatever part i needed. i think i am going to try a fs90 next....
  5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i had a spark plug go bad in a stihl that was 4 years old. breakdowns like those are just absurd.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

sthil stuff is crap! i will never buy any thing else fro them. the throttle desighn is just another example of poor desighn w/ cheap materiels.
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Any brand of trimmer you purchase will have problems at times, no matter how small or large the part. It seems to me that you should be more upset with the dealer than the product, the dealer doesnt have the parts or the support that you need..........just my 2 cents worth

8. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

Could be worse,Just be glad that when it hung to wide open that it did not self destruct . Then you would really have a reason to be upset :laugh:
  9. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

10. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

This post is funny. Its a $300 trimmer, things can and will break. its the nature of this and any other machine or service realted business that relies on machines and parts made in the quantities that these are. A $1.00 spring broke, call the press!! Nasa spends trillions on the space shuttle and it has its issues while sitting on the launch pad ready to go into space, I had a mystery electrical issue with a $50,000 truck that took 10 trips to the dealer. **** happens, just have to get it fixed and right off the losses (pref on your taxes, if its for business!!:usflag: )

Now i will agree with what someone said before, dealer should have had that spring in stock, i know at our dealership, we stock that part. I have not seen any of them break yet out of the 200-300 4 mix units we have sold with that throttle control on it. We have had major issues with the cables fraying themselves apart back by the carb connection. Stihl changed the design for this years and now coats the cable to stop the fraying. And btw in any part of the u.s it should only take the dealer 1-3 days to order and get the part from one of stihls distrubtors, so saying it will take a week is a little absurd.