Stihl fs 130 or Stihl fs 250.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hardlyever, May 16, 2006.

1. hardlyever

hardlyever LawnSite Member

I need some opinions from people who have used both or one of the two. This is for personal use only. I have about 5 miles of fence line that I clean a few times a year.
    Should i go with the 4-mix engine or stick with the 2 cycle fs 250?
    Is there a big difference in the vibration between the two?
    Loop handle or Bike? ( never used the bike handle before, always a j-handle)

Any suggestions or opinions between the two would be greatly appreciated. I don't have much options other than Stihl unless I travel 50 miles or so. Pass the Stihl dealership every day.

2. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the the 130 Loop Handle. Starts right up and I've said this before it has incredible POWER! Doing mainly residential, I rarely get to "open it up". So for trimming like you say it should be perfect. I think it would get heavy after awhile, so maybe the Bike Handle would work for you.

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'm guessing it is a country fence? I would cut it all down, then spray it w/ vegetation killer so I would never have to mess with it again. Or at least for a while.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

250 is way more trimmer than is needed. That is for brush clearing.

as above, I would spray a 4-6" line of round up every two months or as needed and just use the trimmer as needed to catch where the mower won't go.

If you don't want to go with the round up route, I would just buy a FS110 4 mix and in the areas without an obstacles use a blade if it is really thick, then come back with .105 line for the remainder.

if it isn't too bad just use the .105 line and be done with it.