Stihl fs 38 trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcsaws, Mar 4, 2008.

1. jcsaws

jcsaws LawnSite Member

Hi guy, just asking if anyone knows if stihl are suppling f3 38 trimmers out of china, or where does the new serial number starting with 8 come from.
    eg #1 germany #2 USA #BRAZIL cheers:confused:

2. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

FS38's are not available for US sale. You're right about the serial numbers and starting with 1 being a german made unit, 2 is a US made unit, 3 is a brazillian made unit. Currently all trimmers and blowers are US made except for the BR380 and BR420 which switched from US to Brazillian made in mid 2007. Speaking of units not available in the US, I have a feeling it's just a matter of time(when Stihl runs out of EPA credits) before the FS87 makes its way to the US ( it's a cable drive version of the FS90) as the FS80 is the most polluting unit in their line up. It's the oldest engine they use that dates back to 1996.

3. jcsaws

jcsaws LawnSite Member

HI do you get fs 45/ fs45c which is the 4140 series motor. the fs 38 is a despec of them jc

4. Zooropa93

Yes we've had the 4140 series engines in the 45/45c/55/55c and so on for quite a while...at least 5 years if not longer, though I am told they will be repalced in another year or so.

5. Zooropa93

I'm not sure whether this is true or not, but I was told by a Stihl rep that Chinese made units are only for sale in China and not for sale outside of there.