1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl FS 55RT

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blessed 1, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have any experiance with the Stihl FS 55RT Multi Cut Trimmer? Local dealer has them on sale for $199.99. Is this a good price. It seems twice as strong as Craftsman/Weedeater etc.

Thanks for the info.:blob3:
  2. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

If this is for comercial use why go with the light duty type of trimmer. I ONLY run Stihl FS 85's as a Minimum. Some jobs I feel that i need more power. the FS85 is listed at $299. 100 bucks more for more power and quality. if you can't spend the 100 bucks yet, save it up but get the 85. You WILL NOT be sorry.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Spend the extra $150 and get the 85 RT. You'll be glad you did. The 55 RT is a home owner unit, it will not hold up to commercial use and abuse. Spend more, get more.
  4. Blessed 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just checked with the local dealer and the FS 85 is "on sale" for $349.95. He assured me tha that a lot of the commercial guys in this area were using the FS 55's. I just dished out $6995.00 ($7400.00 after taxes) for a 52" Toro Z Master. I had to hide from the wife for two weeks to keep from getting killed. I don't even want to think about another 150 right now. I will have to put on the wish list for next year along with a enclosed trailer. By the way I am a rookie in the game in my first season, and I cut in the evenings when I get off work. I know that you pay more-get more but this time I am going to have to spend less=less stress:dizzy:
  5. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

Did you buy your equipment at Westover L&G?

I bought the Stihl FS80 trimmer from them last year at their annual Pro Day. I paid about $250 with tax.

A Stihl rep. was there that day. He said the only difference between the 80 and 85 was the shaft. He told me that unless I was cutting heavy brush that the 80 would be fine. He also said that I could upgrade the 80 shaft cheaper than I could buy an 85.

Save your money and buy the FS80.

6. Blessed 1

I got It at Potter's but I just called Westover and the FS 55 was the same $, however the FS 85 was 319.00 which was cheaper. I should have checked more because thats where I purchased the Toro. Thanks for the info and keep in touch!