Stihl FS 75 vs 80 vs 85 Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeave96, Mar 15, 2005.

1. leeave96

leeave96 LawnSite Member

Well, I have loaded-up on enough 2 cycle Lawnboys to get me through to retirement - if I live... ;) and now it's time to find me a really good 2 cycle trimmer. I am to understand that the FS 85 is history. My dealer has a FS 80. My question is - what is the difference between the 80 and 85? It appears that both have the same engine. Also, looking at the book, the FS 75 has the same engine too - except a bent shaft. I've thought of looking at that one too as I am guessing it is somewhat lighter. Sooo, in addition to the 80, what is your opinion of the 75?

Thanks in advance,
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

The stihl fs75-fs80 use a cable to drive the cutter head, the fs 85 uses a drive shaft to drive the cutter head. I have the fs85 but never haved used a 75-80. I have a fs-55 which has the cable drive and it is ok, The main thing with a cable, they dont recommend using a blade on the cutter head
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We prefer shaft drives because they don't shake and vibrate as much and they wont break like a cable will. We have a FS 55 that broke 2 drive cables before the gearbox went out.
  4. woodmedic

woodmedic LawnSite Member
    from Texas

If you want the 85 type machine but can't get your hands on one......You can purchase the FS80 and change the liner and drive shaft over to the 85 type. now have an FS85.
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Very true. A lot of LCO's here in Florida are doing just that. They buy a new FS-80 and take the solid drive shafts out of their old FS-85's and install them in the new FS-80.

You can also run edger and hedge trimmer attachments on the solid shaft FS-85 which makes them more versatile.
  6. leeave96

leeave96 LawnSite Member

Another question I have is - is anyone using the attachments that can fit the FS 85? Is there an advantage to the FS 80's straight shaft vs the bent shaft of the FS 75?

7. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I just replaced a 80 & 80 xtreme with a 85 . & Redmax 2400
    Have Hedge Trimmer & Chain Saw attchments for STHIL & ran them on 80X seemed to get along o.k. When i went back to 85 i could not belive the difference , much less vibration &
    Chain saw really worked better. My dealer has some 85,s left
    said he ordered extra because of not being manufactured any
    more.Its just hard to beat the 85s.
  8. Classic

Classic LawnSite Member

Try Redmax trimmers.

Redmax is continuing with 2 cycle well into the future and they are better products overall. You won't believe the difference..MUCH better than Stihl.
  9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats your opinion. I have had nothing but good experiences with Stihl and the nearest RM dealer is 35 miles away.....definitely NOT worth my time and money to chase something I'm not sure would be worth the money or the trouble if it broke.

I have an FS-80R and the drive line and gearbox is covered under lifetime warranty for as long as I own it on top of the 2 yr. mfr. warranty that it comes with anyway. So far it has held up great, no complaints with it.
  10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The FS80's straight shaft is much easier on your back if you're tall like me (6'6").