Stihl FS 80 Hedge Trimmer.....help getting it started

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought a used Stihl Hedge Trimmer and on the 4th or 5th pull, there was a horrible sound, a screw popped out, and the pull cord didn't retract, it stayed loose. I opened it up and all there is in there is a piece of white plastic with a little spring around it. Looks like a quick fix, but I dont know how it aligns in there

2. Expert Lawns

Sorry guys, it's an HS 80

3. Expert Lawns

i just took it up to the shop and they fixed it. got it home and it broke again so i took apart the starter rope thingy and that coil thing came out of it. I have no idea how to get it back in there. this is the last time i buy something off of ebay. i threw the machine in the garage (we're talking overhand heave) and dropped a few F bombs. between this and my mower having me down for the rest of the week, i feel hopeless

4. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

send it to me???????????????????? lol dont thing it is sthil i owen 8 of them never had a prob

5. Expert Lawns

all my 2 cycles are redmax and stihl. redmax blowers and trimmers. stihl stick edger and hedge trimmers. only had problems with the stihls (except when i ran my redmax trimmer over)

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Two things you should NOT do when starting two strokers (or any other pull start). I see this all the time. First, you don't pull all the way out until the cord snaps to the end. People seem to love to do this. Second, and even more common, is that when they DO get it started, they just let go of the rope and let it snap back.
    Oh, and another thing that tends to be hard on them is throwing them overhanded across the garage. lol