1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl FS 80 trimmers, "Bad Vibes!"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DeWitt Lawncare, May 13, 2005.

1. DeWitt Lawncare

DeWitt Lawncare LawnSite Member

I've got a pair of Stihl trimmers that really do a great job, but after cutting for 12 hours yesterday the vibration really started to bother my hands. Last night, all of my knuckles were very swollen. Is there anything I can do to deaden the vibration at all?

Are stihl known for bad vibration? Are other brands better?

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Go get a Redmax.
  3. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same model. I wear motocross gloves. THey are cheap, and breathe well.
  4. mhunt

mhunt LawnSite Member
    from SE

i think that the prolonged use of any trimmer will do this. i've got a fs-80 and to me, the vibration is no different than any other high quality trimmer i've used....you're holding the entire cutting system in your hands, the engine and all, vibration is going to be a factor, thick, padded gloves should help.
  5. scarr133

scarr133 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. I run 2 stihl FS-80's and a Shindaiwa T231 and they all vibrate about the same. Gloves should help, but with running them for as long as you are, you have to expect some hand pain and shaking. Make your laborers do the weedeating. That's what you pay them for!
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

7. DeWitt Lawncare

My employee was gone. HATS OFF TO THE SOLOS!!! You can't beat watching someone else run the trimmer. Even though most employees don't do near the job that the owner does.
  8. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Doing just about anything with your hands for 12 hours will cause some pain
  9. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

The true meaning of all the responses is, you need to build up your arm strength. This reminds me of a funny story. When I worked for 7-11, an 18 year old computer geek worked with us part time. I sent him out on the drive way to sweep up cig. butts and pop tabs. I saw right away he was left handed and was have a hard time using a full size broom and a dust pan, but it was fun to watch. After 2 hours he comes in and works anround the store. About a half an hour later he comes and asked me, What does it mean when your left arm hurts. I told him it means your going to have a heart atach and die. He runs to the phone and calls his mom who lives down the street and she comes and rushes him to the ER. I told him I would call 911 if he wanted.
  10. DeWitt Lawncare

I'm pretty sure I could run a 4 pountd trimmer more than 24 hours if it was just strength. My complaint was about the vibration. Ya think my arms would get used to the vibes?? I don't know about that. Maybe, but I really hope I don't have to worry about it. Like the other guys said, I'd rather listen to my help complain about their hands hurtin'.