Stihl FS 80 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jul 19, 2005.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I usually don't do alot of heavy trimming but here lately I have a large ditch that is putting my FS 80 to the test. I can do it but its a little weaker than I would like for the heavy weeds and grass. How much improvement could I expect with a move to a FS 110, FS130 or the FS250? I would like to use a brush blade every now and then. I stick with Stihl product because thats all that I can get serviced around here. Redmax would be a 40 mile drive. Any input welcome. I've never used a larger trimmer but weight would have some input on my decision. Thanks!
  2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

F250=The Tim Allen Syndrome
  3. Grass-Eater

Grass-Eater LawnSite Member

I'am in the same dalema you are in i just spoke with the dealer in my area he said the fs 80 will take the brush blade same as the bigger units but he said the mian upgade from the fs 80 trimmer is not the engine h.p. gain but going to a solid shaft from a cable
    shaft in the trimmer
  4. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Do what I did, run it hard till the cable breaks then switch out the cable for the shaft. By the way I haven't broken the cable yet. And it has been a couple of years. I do have the shaft waiting in the garage for that day.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My FS 110 is used for the heavy stuff or large trimming areas only. It has some real good power over the 80's. I do want a FS250 this fall, the excuse I will use is that I need it for the winter on my new land.
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

get a second trimmer. change the old one over to a dedicated brush blade. I have been using mine periodically for 15 months in that capacity and it was 3 years old before it went to that. Still on the same cable. Mine are FS 85 I think. My dealer says that is the way to go and he will warranty the cable so why not.
  7. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We have a couple of Stihl 110's. Haven't used an 85 in a while, but compared to the our 45/55 backup trimmer, the 110 has massive power. Cutting hedges, edging or cutting pampas grass with the brush blade, it certainly has all the power we ever need, plus, it is very easy to start.

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

looked at mine they are FS 80's. So we are comparing apples to apples.

Just run them until the cable breaks and get a new cable. No big deal to install.