1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl FS 80

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NC Scaper, Sep 7, 2004.

1. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

Ok pretty much when it gets hot it cuts off, to restart it I have to choke it.
  2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Might be a clogged tank vent or just wore out. When it cuts off check for spark. Sounds more like a fuel problem tho. Start with the basics, change fuel filter, check lines for cracks, check carb mounting screws to make sure they are tight. Clean the fins on the head. Good hunting and post back when ya get it going.
  3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Do what the last post said + remove plug, take a flashlight and check the cylinder wall for shiny scores or scratches. If visible, its on its last leg for sure. Have worn components replaced and letter eat.

Or buy a new one (recommended)
  4. NC Scaper

Well if it on its last leg then it is a piece of crap cause its only 4 months old, I am just gonna drop it off at the dealer tomorrow since it is raining and it is under warranty. I talked to the mechanic on the phone today and he said something about the gas cap.
  5. NC Scaper

It turned out to be the the gas cap it was not venting properly, so now shes purring like a kitten
  6. NC Scaper

By the way thanks for all the replies!!!