Stihl FS 80R/FS 85R Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vball2116, Mar 29, 2005.

1. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone I have a question about Stihl trimmers. I have the option to buy either one of these 2 trimmers:

Stihl FS 80R: $279
    Stihl FS 85R: $299

I know the 85's have the solid drive shaft and the 80 R doesn't have the solid drive shaft. Is it really worth it to upgrade to the 85 since this is my first trimmer at 16 so I want one that will last. Do you really feel the difference in the shafts? If you can give me the pros and cons of both that will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

2. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

All I have every used is the 85's. And I have no complaints about them.

3. woodmedic

woodmedic LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Either shaft will have a life time warranty on it. Basically what it amounts to is if you might mount a blade later you may want to get the 85. If you are just going to stay with the line head then the 80 will do just fine.

4. vball2116

Hey guys thanks for the info. I think im going to go with the 85 only because the dealer is closer and I think the solid shaft might hold up better.

Thanks,
    Jeff

5. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

The extra 20 bucks is worth it.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Good decision and well worth 20 bux

7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Good price, I just paid 30 bucks more than that for the 85R.

8. vball2116

hey guys thanks...im suprised the dealer still had them since they are doing away with them and replacing it with the new ones.

Jeff

9. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a FS 46. I know its an occasional use trimmer, but i was on a tight budget. Do you think this will hold up to my commercial use?

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, that's why I bought an extra one. I'll give them a few years to work the bugs out of the new ones.
    Crawdad