Stihl fs 80r

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zak406, Jan 7, 2007.

1. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys I bought a stihl fs80r about three weeks ago and now that i look back I wish I would have bought something that could take and attachment (like the pole saw attachment). I have read that i can swap my chain drive for the fs 85 drive shaft. Is this possible and if so where can I get a fs 85 drive shaft.

Thanks
    Zach

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ive been told you can do this but I never have. Not to be a smarty tail.....but your local stihl dealer shouold be able to get you the parts

wayne

3. zak406

thanks for the reponse. yeah i thought about going to my dealer but i thought there may be a chepaer place to purchase it from (if you can purchase it at all)

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I havent ever seen an after market shaft. I cant remember the price but I dont think it was that much. Im afraid to say because my memory isnt that good

wayne

5. zak406

ok thanks for the answer.

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't really seen many Stihl parts online.

7. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

you can swap the shaft to the solid stainless steel shaft. Just go by your dealer and purchase one and swap it out.

8. zak406

thank you for your responses. I called and its like 43 dollars so i think i will go ahead and order it.

9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

The cable will hold up fine. My buddy has been using the fs 100rx with attatchments for a while w/ no problems at all. Yes I know what the manual says .

10. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

not sure if you remember the fs85 but the only difference between that and the fs80 was the shaft... the 85 had the solid shaft. so yes you can changed the cable to the shaft which is what i'd recommend. you dont want to take a chance on messing up the cable using the saw attachment. you might even want to check ebay for the shaft... you can sometimes find a good used shaft on there. or you can see if your dealer has a trimmer with a blown engine but still has a good shaft on it.