Stihl FS 85 or Shindaiwa T 260

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ECLC, Apr 26, 2004.

1. ECLC

ECLC LawnSite Member

I have both trimmers. I have had alot more FS 85's over the years. I bought one t260 last year to try it out. One of the guys who works with me left it on the wheel well of the trailer and somebody has a nice shindaiwa t260 for free. So I would like to know what everybody else thinks about these two trimmers. I am sort of torn between the both. I like each one for different reasons. Seems like my new FS85's have given me more trouble with a little time on them. Did not really get to have the T260 all that long to really see how long it would last compared to the Stihl.
    Any thoughts would be appreaciated.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm looking at the fs85's or the honda 4 strokes right now.
    I'm leaning towards the honda's but do like the stihl's.
    Don't have a good shindy dealer around.
    What kind of trouble with the fs85's?

3. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I have an FS 85 and have not had any trouble with it. Only had it a year though. I do wish it turned clockwise though.

4. ECLC

ECLC LawnSite Member

The FS85's are mainly carb. problems, I had to take one to the shop this afternoon for carb problems. Over all some have lasted as much as 4 seasons. One right now is in its 4th season with no problems. The newer models have a slightly different carb. on them.

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

My 260 is a workhorse, never breaks, plenty of power, light.

6. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Have always had the same experience with Shind.

7. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

If you have an Echo dealer in your area try the new SRM-260S.

It is an awesome, powerful trimmer that can handle anything.. The new barrel valve carb they are using makes them very easy to start as well.

The FS-85 is going away soon due to the fact that it will not meet EPA regs. We call it the "dinner bell" trimmer because of the freakin' tinging noise from the all metal clutch clanging around especially at idle. The new carbs on the FS-85 make them almost impossible to start.

8. ECLC

ECLC LawnSite Member

Leaisure Lawn you know what I am talking about.
    The newer trimmers have given me the most trouble (carb. problems)

9. The Hokie Okie

The Hokie Okie LawnSite Member

I guess I've pretty good luck out of my fs-85 the way you guys talk. Mine hasn't given me any trouble and has plenty of power for me. (put a small rock through the skin on my
    arm just enough where it would stick.)

10. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the FS110's. Quiet, super strong, well balanced. I was trying to make the same choice a couple of weeks ago. I chose the fs110 and do not regret it.