Stihl FS 85 Vibration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bo Jack, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Bo Jack

Bo Jack LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I have an FS85 that has a bad vibration just a little above idle speed, (once you get past that certain rpm the vibration goes away) it is bad enough I thought the string head was out of balance but with the head and shield removed it still has the vibration.I thought it use to be smooth through out the entire range. Its less than 1yr old. Any suggestions
    thanks Bo

2. mikal

mikal LawnSite Member

I have a husk 322l that was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a bent shaft right where the threads are on the end that goes to the engine. Go to where you bought it and tell the mechanic to check the shaft. Also i just bought a stihl fs 80 and am never going to buy another brand than stihl, that trimmer rocks.

3. mikal

mikal LawnSite Member

also i cant believe there were 23 people here that looked at your question and didnt come to that probable conclusion.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

has it always done it? remember, stihl uses metal clutches, they won't engage as smoothly as others. does it make a bad noise too? may have a broken clutch plate. 65hoss can tell you more about this, he felt it and i heard it.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, I always get vibes in mine now and again, and don't really think that much of it. I just figure that it reaches the right frequency once in awhile, and the shaft vibrates within the grommits now and again. I get that with the Echos, too. They've done it for years, but run great when in actual use. You have to figure, these thin shafts are not exactly precision balanced. I don't think I would even worry about it at the lower r's like that.

6. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Bo Jack,

Check to make sure that your head has enough grease and also remove the head and grease the shaft. Mine is doing it after about a couple hundred hours. greased it up and no probs. Use stihl grease.

scot