Stihl FS 85

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Nov 13, 2003.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to my Stihl dealer this weekend to get probably an FS 85. I know it all depends on preference, but I have never had anything nice like Stihl before. any pros or cons with this machine?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a few 85's. Be sure not to get the extreme. It has a hollow shaft. Get the regular FS85. It has the solid shaft. With the solid shaft you can use hedge trimmer attachments and all the other attachments with it. The extreme its not reccomended with.

3. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

best trimmer you can buy

4. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the FS85 solid shaft and I have had no problems, runs great.

5. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

We have several 85s. Bought a 110 this spring. We will be replacing the 85s as they die with 110s.

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have all Stihls for my handhelds. I do have 2 FS 85s and have had no problems with them.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Have a one year old FS80 (same thing but uses a cable shaft instead of solid steel) no problems yet but have not used it much. Has ran excellent. I bought it new last year and was very impressed with it coming from a homelite curved shaft, loads of torque and RPM much nicer to use. I haven’t used it hardly at all this year because I got a 14 year old shindaiwa for $25 and it’s my new favorite for regular trimming. Doesn’t have as much power as the stihl but it’s a lot lighterweight and quieter. The Stihl cannot be beat for ruggedness, dependability, reliability and long trouble free life, all of the local LCO’s swear by them and most still have their original FS85 and a couple newer ones also. I have no complaints with mine at all, the bump head is very nice too (one thing I don’t like on the shindaiwa). Great unit just wish it was lighter weight. If you don’t mind the weight go for it. You won’t mind the weight unless you have a much lighter straight shaft also so I say go for it. Can’t go wrong with the Shindaiwa either ;) My Shinny is, as I said, 14 years old and I got it from a customer earlier this year and it always starts right up and runs great. Not near the torque of the Stihl but for normal trimming it’s just fine. Much quieter and much much lighter weight. It’s a model T-18. A friend has a newer T230 and they prefer it over their FS85 also but it’s heavier and louder than my Shinny. Probably more powerful too but they have the same opinions on their two trimmers as I do mine. Again you won’t go wrong with the Stihl and you’ll be plenty happy with it but it is alittle heavier than some of the other options. Happy shopping :)

8. onboard2

onboard2 LawnSite Member

We use Shindiawa t230 . We feel the the weight/ power ratio is
    very important. When you use them all day you can feel the extra
    12 oz. IMHO

9. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Any dislikes of the FS85 Kombi system?

B

10. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Shindy t260s here