Stihl FS 85

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shiznitttt, Jul 4, 2004.

1. shiznitttt

shiznitttt LawnSite Member

I just bought a used Stihl FS 85 Trimmer, and I cannot for the life of me find out how to put trimmer line on the spool. I have hunted the entire web, including Stihl website, and cannot find out how to do this. If anyone has any information or website that shows stupid people how to do stuff, send it my way. Thanks, in advance.
    It is a standard head, the type that you "tap" and it feeds more trimmer line.
  2. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Its pretty hard to describe and draw a word picture for you here.

Why don't you just take it to the closest Stihl dealer - buy a small package of string from him - and ask him to string the head while you watch it done. He should be happy to get you started off correctly with your Stihl equipment.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

There is 2 holes. If you look on the spool it will show the direction you wind the line. Put the line in the 2 holes and wrap it in the direction indicated. Its actually very simple and quick.
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

this is assuming you know how to get the cover off the head, push in both sides in the recessed area (rectangle), then push down and turn and the spool with come out in your hand. once you have it out, spool each side with line and tuck them in the little cut outs to hold tension on the spool. put the spool back on the head (align the line with the eyelets in the head and then put the cover back on. pull both sides till the button (center of the head) pops out. takes a few times to master it.
  5. shiznitttt

shiznitttt LawnSite Member

Thanks, is there an easy head attachment? I have an old Ryboi that I use around the house, and you don't take the head off you just feed line into it and once it reaches an opening you feed it back on itself. Very VERY simple. I was thinking for what these things cost new it would be simplier. Thanks, for the tips.
  6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

7. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

Buy a rapid load head ($25). Cut two pieces 8 inch line slip it in the holes and away you go!!! Have a couple extra pieces of 8 inch line in your back pocket to replace if needed.
  8. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I put the rapid loader on 2 of our Echos and they work great.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

8"? Seems like that would last about 5 minutes and you'd have to replace it. Is it really thick?
  10. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

That is 8" X 2 plus the width of the head. So you have at least a 15 to 16" cutting path for 5 minutes.

I have found that those rapid loader heads to be a royal pain in the asz to use. Cut 10 seconds around a fence. Have to stop, shut off the trimmer reload the thing, restart the trimmer just to repeat the process 10 seconds later. I will take a bump head any time.

I would have never bought a used FS85 (nor a new one for that matter). For the carb can not be adjusted and if they get out of whack.

Take a look at the Husqvarna heads. Especially the new one that just came out. Both Stihl and Husqvarna's heads have a 10 mm thread size and are interchangable.

If you have the Stihl 25 rapid cut head. Look for two holes in the middle of the spool. Take a 10 to 12 foot lenght of line (more or less depending on the size you use). Stick each end into a different hole on the spool. While looking at the top of the spool (spring up) divide the line using your middle finger and wind line onto the spool while turning it clock-wise. Use your index and ring finger to hold the line tight and wind it as tight as possible around the spool. When you reach the end of the line. You should have a loop that goes from one side to the other when you insert the line into the slots on the spool. Cut the line in the center. Place the spool into the head and slip the ends into the slots or through the holes in the spool (depending on type of head). Place the cap on the spool and make sure it locks as you pull the ends of the lines. To test just push the button while pulling on one of the line ends and if all is well. The line should advance.