Stihl FS 85r or FS 80r?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLS, Apr 14, 2002.

1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going to the dealer tomorrow to purchase a new string trimmer. I have narrowed it down to either the FS 85r or FS 80r. From what I understand, the 85 is a solid shaft, whereas the 80 is a flex shaft. At my dealer, the 80 goes for $270. The 80 is $10 MORE...does that make sense, how is it more? It has basically the same engine specs (I think). I will ask about it tomorrow. I just wanted to know if those prices sound right or if anyone has any last minute comments.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

At my dealer the 85 as it should be, was a little more basically from the strait shaft, because you azre able to operat other attachments that are not able to be operated with flex shaft, personally i only own fs85's because of that fact, if you never plan on puttingany attachments on go for the flex shaft, i have found that it is a little more comfortable, but it is all up to preferance, make sure and ask your dealer about the price it could have just been a mistake
    AK Lawn

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

They are exactly the same trimmer (motor, etc.), the difference is the shaft. Get an 85. You will want to have attachments at some point.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the 80 and i think it's fairly cheap to get a solid shaft for it.. me and hoss priced them last year. maybe he remembers the #'s.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like the price for the solid shaft was about $25. I was told you can take the flex out and put the solid in.

6. My understanding of the difference between the two is that the 85 has an added clutch plate to handle the extra torque needed for attachments.
    That must have been something the dealer told me. I can't find anything in writing on that subject.

Dave

7. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Went and picked it up today. I got the 85 (forgot to ask why it was cheaper than the 80). I am very pleased with it so far.

I don't know if this is normal, but when I first rev the engine up it makes a rattling noise right after/before the head stops spinning. It seems that it is probably the clutch...but is it supposed to make the rattling noise?

Thanks,
    Ryan

8. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

it is supposed to make that noise it is right, good luck you should like it i sure like mine!
    AK Lawn

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, it does make that noise. Its the metal clutches. You should love the power and durability of the 85. You made the best choice in the 2 trimmers.

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, that is the metal clutches you hear. you think they are noisey now, you should hear one when it breaks, right hoss?