stihl fs 90 question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ridetoslide, May 30, 2010.

1. ridetoslide

ridetoslide LawnSite Member

Hey fellas, I have a question about the Stihl FS90 trimmer. I'm looking to buy one and went and looked at them at 2 different dealers. I was under the assumption that the FS90 had a interchangeable gear box and accessories could be used with it, like cultivator, broom, etc. BUT, both dealers said, oh no, you need the "Kombi" unit for the interchangeable add on implements. The "Kombi" FS90 is $299 but I would have to buy the string trimmer head unit for another $89. The regular FS90 is $299 but is ready to trim. The Stihl brochure book from one of the dealers clearly shows attachments for the regular FS90 model and also for the "Kombi". Am I missing something or did Stihl change things? I'm confused. I'd like to but the regular FS90 and IF I need attachments I can. But If I can't ever add them, then maybe it's the Kombi unit. And help would be greatly appreciated!

2. 06LTNox

06LTNox LawnSite Member

You can, but its not a quick change like on the Kombis. Depends on how often you plan on changing the attachments.

3. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

If the dealer said that, then he either lied or just doesn't know his equipment. I have a FS90 and you can use attachments (gearbox change--see Stihl web site http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/interchangeable.html). I have the chain saw attachment and also the edge trimmer attachement and the changeout takes just a minute or two. Loosen two torx screws, slip one off, slip other on, tighten screws. No problema! :):):):)

4. B Gillespie

B Gillespie LawnSite Member

Exactly. I often switch between the edger and tiller on my FC95, and it takes less than one minute. Both attachments also work on my FS250R.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. dougdm

dougdm LawnSite Member

I have the 135 degree hedge trimmer on one of my fs55 and flip it back and forth to the mini chain saw. They both work very well. The only thing is that you have to make sure your gear box on the implement itself stays greased. My hedge trimmer gets really hot, constantly adding grease.

Happy Long Weekend, Tuesday is going to suck:usflag:

6. wimpy

wimpy LawnSite Member

FS55 isn't supposed to take those attachments. It's a flex cable, no wonder it's getting hot.

7. mbrew

mbrew LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to a Stihl rep about that trimmer on Friday, and he was using the ability to change the attachments at the end as a selling point.

8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as it has a solid shaft you can change out the attachments.

9. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Datz right.

10. ktoom

ktoom LawnSite Member

We just bought another FS90 on sat......YESSSSS