1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stihl: FS 90 R vs FS 100 RX

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by freshprince94, Aug 5, 2008.

1. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a question for all the Stihl guys:

Which trimmer in your opinion is the best? The FS 90 or 100 RX? I won't be using gearbox attachments, and it will be for basic trimming of S. Augustine grass, no brushcutting.

2. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

FS80 because it is a two stroke. The 90 and 100 either you are at 0% throttle or 100% throttle, it's hard to find an in between. So it's a pain to trim around delicate stuff but with the 80 you can control the throttle WAY easier.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Amen brother. If you get a Stihl get a true two stroke. The 4mix stuff is good but not built to the same standards of the other stihl equipment. Do you see Stihl putting a 4mix on their chainsaws? Nope because if they did they would loose there edge. Also consider getting a Echo or Shindaiwa.
  4. railman

railman LawnSite Member

for straigth trimming and no other gear box attachment I would go with the fs100rx a little more power and less weight. I have two fs90r because I use the hedge trimmer attachment also and they are good enough for what I need it for.
  5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

This is very true. See if you can get one to use for a day before you buy.
  6. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you didn't mention an 80 in your options but that is what I would do. I have 2 FS80's and they are okay for brush cutting too. For regular trimming they have more than enough power with great control.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure, but I think the 90 and 110 has a solid drive for attachments and the 100 has a hollow drive for less weight, more power for trimming.

Take the guard off and you have more control on the 4-mix, but more flying debris. I like the brush guard, with the skirt, and line cutter removed.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I bought an FS90R about two months ago, to replace an FS85. The throttle control issue mentioned above is the first I've heard of that concern. Having run both, and still run an FC85 (edger), I don't see the 0% to 100% at all. I have no problem with an intermediate throttle position on either the FS85 (FC85), or the FS90R.

So far, I'm very impressed with the FS90R. It starts better than any other handheld I've owned. I use it only for turf trimming, no attachments. The machine has plenty of power, and quick throttle response. It gets about 3 hours of use per day, and I go through two or three tanks of fuel each day. I am very satisfied with the unit.

I know that didn't answer your question about the two models, but my experiences are only on the FS90R.
  9. tstutz

tstutz LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

I got a stihl fs90 in May and i have found it to be very reliable. i have used an fs80 also and i found that it does not have the power the 90 does. also if you use the 90 often finding a median is quite easy. just my 2 cents though.
  10. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys, keep em comin...

I have a 4 mix engine already and like it, but I will check out the FS 80...

Echo and Shindy arent options...