Stihl FS 90

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl FS 90

I am really hating this trimmer. I was using it yesterday and the engine just seems to lag. It is very boggy. It has great top end power, but just seems like it takes for ever build up speed. Using premium fuel and the better silver can of Stihl synthetic premix oil. Another thing it is takes forever to start. The choke is non factor, it does not make a difference on or off. Any adjustments I can do to this thing before I take it back to the dealer?

I have used this thing three times. Most times I just throw it back in the garage and grab my SRM 210. I believe this trimmer is going on CL unless there is just something wrong with it. I am really disappointed with this trimmer. As much love I have for my BR600 Mag, I really thought it would be the same for the FS90.
  2. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

That's just the way the 4 cycle motors are. They aren't a high rpm motor. I start mine most of the time at wide open on the throttle. Only time I choke it is if it's been sitting a couple days. I wouldn't buy a Stihl trimmer just for trimming. I love the kombi system but for everyday trimming I would go with what you already have. Sorry for the disappointment.
  3. LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I sometimes have to full throttle mine too to get it started within a couple pulls but only first thing in the morning, usually after that its only 1 or 2 pulls with no throttle no choke and its running. Maybe check the spark arrestor screen, they can get clogged, mine seems good at most rpm but yeah its not the greatest trimmer. I miss the old Shin 230, I might get a Husky 323 just for trimming, but I am still loyal to Stihl.
  4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

We have been running 90r's for 2-3 years now with no such problems. Always start 1-2 pulls. We never use the priming bulb. Just choke and full throttle first thing in the morning then just full throttle on every restart after that.
  5. Capemay Eagle

I agree with the full throttle start. I agree on the 4 cycle engine. Going from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke is a whole new game in a trimmer.

I did take it back to the dealer a while ago and they pretty much said the same thing as you guys.

Thanks for the replies.
  6. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Adjust the valves ...
    Clean the exhaust screen...
    Replace the sparkplug..
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What GMLC said ....

I have had FS90R trimmers for several years. It is a fine trimmer, with good power. To the OP, if you are throwing it someplace, throw it my way, please!
  8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

If keeps doing it tell dealer you want new carb

I owned 110 never had a problem with them had 3 One blowed up after 4th yr So my work load got bigger this year I thought I would buy 2 more 110 but dealer said they don't have 110 just the 130. So I bought 2 130 and 2 weeks later started run like you are talking. Dealer said need adjusted so took both in they did there tune job. Next day was doing same thing. I took it back I said they act like are running out gas at full throttle So stuck new Carbs on So far they are running like they should I know 2 other LCO I talk had to have there carbs replace on there 130 and 2 90
  9. Capemay Eagle

Thanks PS. The dealer dismissed me quick, I never got around to asking about the valves. Really there is nothing to clean, it is brand new. I guess I can change the plug. I have never adjusted valves, something I can do on my own?

I am not throwing it, but if you are interested in buying it, LMK.
  10. ernieknows

ernieknows LawnSite Member

The only problem I have had with a Sthil product
    is when I broke in a blower by letting it idle.
    The exhaust arrestor became plugged up,
    Dealer cleaned it and it runs well
    Prime your FS 90 10 x if it does not start
    on the first two pulls. Worked for me.